Any Jack Russell owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rerrier owner here. Terriers are by nature huve balls of emergy and born to hunt.
They are aggressive, if they dont like it watch out. Unstoppable at times.

But with plenty of clear area, exercise, and plenty of time and patience they get tired. A tired dog is a perfect dog.

Harvey

No matter what breed of dog you choose, training is the very best way to make sure you have a well behaved dog that is a good family member. Start when they are young, and if you don't have the skill level to really train your dog then find a training class. It's the best investment you'll make for your dog's future. Make sure you have your daughter involved in the training-she'll learn as much as the dog, and there is no better bond than the one between a trainer and their dog.

My wife and I have trained certified therapy dogs for years and my wife is a therapy dog testing evaluator.

Terriers need training....period. The more educated you get and the application of what you learn on a daily basis is important.

I've owned terriers for 25 years now. Wonderful dogs. Beautiful....fun....loving....expressive...rascals!

They do love daily exercise. It's a requirement for a more calm dog as well as a happy one. Every single day (unless I am sick) I make sure my Welsh Terrier gets his workouts in. I also keep him on a pinch collar when walking the neighborhood. He despises cats and I never know when we'll run into one.

Proper chew toys that don't cause the runs or present a choke hazard are also essential. They love to chew and will destroy a shoe or furniture unless trained and given a chew toy every day. Bully Sticks are the very best thing.

Good luck.

Keep an eye on that Jack Russell in the yard, for they are known to climb a fence or two.

The Jack is a smaller version of the Fox Terriers and I had two of those. Both were a handful.

What I have now is the best terrier I ever owned..... a Miniature Schnauzer. That dog is like a gift from Heaven. Hyper, but very intelligent and won't chew anything. Also never goes potty in the house - never digs and best of all, it does not shed.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Keep an eye on that Jack Russell in the yard, for they are known to climb a fence or two.

The Jack is a smaller version of the Fox Terriers and I had two of those. Both were a handful.

What I have now is the best terrier I ever owned..... a Miniature Schnauzer. That dog is like a gift from Heaven. Hyper, but very intelligent and won't chew anything. Also never goes potty in the house - never digs and best of all, it does not shed.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that. Boy do they shed...

We had a desexed male Jack Russel for about 12 years.

The breed should look like they have a little bit of staffy bull terrier in them, as that's how the Parson Russel bred them. So should have deeper chest and stronger jaw structure than a foxy...a lot of the animals sold as Jack Russels in Oz are clearly not this way.

Ours was from this kennel, but short haired.
http://www.missigai.com/page4.asp

Little dog that thinks it's a big dog.

As others have mentioned training is imperative, but that won't always over-rule their nature, particularly when it comes to food or fighting...seeing him running around full tilt with his nose in a chicken carcass, and the entire thing covering his eyes because he knew we would take it off him was funny...the day he ate a chicken stock cube not so much.

The ones I've known don't really have a clear definition of where play stops, and roughhousing would sometimes end up in a decent bite...remorsefull dog afterwards, but my bigger dogs always knew where the line was.

Ours was an inside/outside dog, but always slept in his kennel outside, in a "Run" about 6' wide and 12' long. When we were in bed/at school/work, he was in his run, when we were home he was wherever in the yard.

Needed to be vigilant around gates, as he liked exploring.

One of his favourite "toys" was a knotted rope hung from the car port roof...he'd leap up, grab it and hang, swinging wildly to try to tear it down...wore him out pretty good.

Food was always his problem, and he ended up getting baited (fortunately a quick acting poison, not crushed glass)...could never train him not to take food.

Wonderful dogs. Most are super loving and really enjoy being around people. We have four of them right now and had a fifth till she died at an old age.

Each one can have a very different personality. Some are easy going and some are really full of it all like to fight.

Be careful as they are a handful around other dogs, even other Jack Russell's. They will easily square off on even much bigger dogs. Be especially careful around food. They will fight over and empty dish.

This fighting is not play fighting. It is a very serious nature more like a pit bull. Once they bite they won't let go.

Just be very careful especially till you get to know your dog.

Also, I would recommend a break away collar. Three times our dogs have got their teeth and jaws caught in one of the other dogs collars. They are hard to find in stores but Amazon has them.

Thank you all. I had to put down my beloved Istrian shorthaired hound three years ago at age of 14. Kidney failure. Back then I've swore to my self - never again. Never again I will have another dog, and pass again this misery at the end of its life. But dogs are such a wonderful companions, I couldn't let my kid without that experience.
I'll try my best. If not working I will take trainer. Neighbour have two Belgium sheepdogs'..
Edit :Malinois, not sheepdog, and they are two, and insane

Last edited:
I look for another puppy the very next day after all my prior dogs died. Sometimes it takes a couple weeks to find the right one. The new puppy is the best medicine to healing from the most recent loss. The back of my garage is a graveyard of prior dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back