Long hauls = go full synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Run

I have a bunch of long trips planned in the next month. Hot weather and mountain driving included. I plan to take my van and its due for an oil change. Up til now I was using PYB and thought why not go full syn. I have Pennzoil Platinum on standby. Would it really cause all kinds of leaks and increase my consumption? Or should I just blend the PYB with PP?

What he said. Yu need the advantages of synthetic in stop&go, and for short journeys.
Hours on end at 70-80mph is easy going and a conventional will handle it with ease
smile.gif

How many total miles on the long hauls?

Syn is great for cold flow, for short tripping, and for extending OCIs.

But a good conventional in an engine that doesn't spec synthetic can do fine for around 7500 mile OCIs in a well running engine assuming its no severe load (towing a full trailer at 80 MPH up 10-mile, 8% grades, etc).

So if the total mileage of all your long hauls is 7500 miles or less, Id stick with PYB. If you're looking for other convenience or the need to not change, you may consider syn. However, without baselining it by UOA, you won't know if you can extend much further or not anyway.

Run an oil that meets the manufacturer's requirement/recommendation and run the OLM. Chances are it will run at least 7.5k under the conditions you describe.

Originally Posted By: Olas
What he said. Yu need the advantages of synthetic in stop&go, and for short journeys.
Hours on end at 70-80mph is easy going and a conventional will handle it with ease
smile.gif

+1. Stick with what you are using. How many kms will the trip be?

I'm looking at racking up 4000 highway miles just for the month of May alone. Then throw in all the short trips in between. Not sure yet on what the summer has in store for me. Up until now it took me 4 months to reach 4K.

I'd save the synthetic for the winter, especially in the Great White. The old adage "dance with the girl that brung ya'" serves well here.

Originally Posted By: 2cool
I'd save the synthetic for the winter, especially in the Great White. The old adage "dance with the girl that brung ya'" serves well here.

We're not from a very cold area. It doesn't get much below freezing.

Change the oil now with PYB and maybe change it again after the trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back