Oiled air filters better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking into the idea of upgrading from the stock air filters (such as the Fram Extra Guard) that I have been using. I'd like to keep dirt out of the engine oil, and I heard that this is a good way to do it.

But in this forum, I see a lot of folks specifically asking for a paper filter (instead of an oiled one?). Are these two different filters?

So would an oiled filter make a difference? Fram makes a higher end filter, the Tough Guard, that they say is oiled.

Oiled filter here is about K&N filter that you need to clean and re-oil once-in-a-while, if you don't oil it perfectly it may damage some intake components. The slightly oiled filters such as Fram Tough Guard or Honda OEM filter is difference, they are supposed to be better than plain paper filter.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Oiled filter here is about K&N filter that you need to clean and re-oil once-in-a-while, if you don't oil it perfectly it may damage some intake components. The slightly oiled filters such as Fram Tough Guard or Honda OEM filter is difference, they are supposed to be better than plain paper filter.

I'd rather stick with a maintenance-free air filter. OK, so let's focus on the Fram TG (or the like), that I can just insert, then take out when I need to replace it.

Oiled ones are typically filters like the K&N. I think Fram also makes the airhog which is also an oiled air filter. They've fallen out of favor because the oil can get on the mass air flow sensor and can screw things up. That's usually from people who re-oil them and put too much on. So most people just stick with a regular paper air filter.

Originally Posted By: paulri
I'm looking into the idea of upgrading from the stock air filters (such as the Fram Extra Guard) that I have been using. I'd like to keep dirt out of the engine oil, and I heard that this is a good way to do it.

But in this forum, I see a lot of folks specifically asking for a paper filter (instead of an oiled one?). Are these two different filters?

So would an oiled filter make a difference? Fram makes a higher end filter, the Tough Guard, that they say is oiled.

Originally Posted By: paulri
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I'd rather stick with a maintenance-free air filter. OK, so let's focus on the Fram TG (or the like), that I can just insert, then take out when I need to replace it.

That was what I posted. There are two type of oiled air filters, slightly oiled paper filter like Fram Tough Guard or Honda OEM filter or some other OEM filters, and K&N filter.

Slightly oiled filter such as Fram Tough Guard is the same as paper filter. Honda air filter for some models such as S2000 is slightly oiled, you can buy OEM filter for S2000 without oil.

I think you need to read all responds more careful.

I used a couple oiled filters as of late in my truck. One was Purolators blue and the other was Frams yellow one.

They both seemed to be noticeably dirtier when compared to the non oiled counterparts when used for the same interval.

So, the answer is...maybe?
confused.gif

I plan to keep using them in my truck, and would love to use them in the Escape if they ever become available
mad.gif

I'm recently learning that the oiled filters like TG and P1 make their gains in efficiency by preventing reentrainment of the captured particles.

Oiled media is best for this.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
I used a couple oiled filters as of late in my truck. One was Purolators blue and the other was Frams yellow one.

They both seemed to be noticeably dirtier when compared to the non oiled counterparts when used for the same interval.

So, the answer is...maybe?
confused.gif

Not sure how anyone could tell, but I wonder if the "noticeably dirtier" was dirt, or dirt + oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back