Fiesta ST 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been on my mind for a few days. Ford calls for 5W20 in the sump of an ST Ecoboost 1.6 but I can't help to think that I would benefit from a 30 weight in a high performance application.

Europe calls for a 5W30 in the motor and I take it that it's due to emissions as to why it's run in them over here. Maybe I'm overthinking things but in a turbocharged motor that likes to live up high in the rev band, wouldn't I want a slightly thicker oil that's more resiliant?

Congratulations on a neat car! To me 5w-20 seems a little light. The engine has timing belts so that relieves some of the stress on the oil but still this is a high stress engine putting out a lot of power from small displacement.
I'm running Castrol 0w-40 in my Ecoboost F150; in my mind it'd be insane not to run a stout oil in that thing. And I don't think it's a stretch for you to run a 30 wt in your Fiesta. There are some excellent UOAs in F150 Boost engines using Castrol Magnetec, which is a semi syn in the 5w-30 flavor.
Let's see what everybody else says too...

The owner's manual will show a preferred viscosity, then a range of acceptable viscosity/temperature combinations that can be used. Warranty would cover all of these.

In my opinion, a 5W-30 would be best. If you are planning on keeping this car long term, definitely stick with 5W-30. If you're only going to keep it a few years then just stick to what's recommended.

I have an ST, too. As I recall, the UK owner's manual calls for WSS-M2C948-B 5W20, so it isn't a recommendation that is unique to the US. I haven't used 5w30, but doubt it would cause a problem.

Ford RECOMMENDS 5w-20 that meets WSS-M2C945-A. You will not automatically void any warranty for using a different oil, but it does give Ford an easier out if they "determine" that oil was the cause of a failure.

Given the well documented fuel dilution of TGDI engines I would use a 5w-30 meeting Ford WSS-M2C946-A so you are still using a Ford certified oil. Most 5w-30 semi-synthetic and full synthetic oils (and even a few conventionals) meet this certification.

I have been using 5w30 synthetic in my 15 ST..though I do have a huge stash of TGMO 0w20 that I'm gonna start using in it..My car runs great on 5w30 and this last tank of fuel I averaged 39.3mpg so I don't think it's hurting fuel economy

Originally Posted By: Travis99LS1
I have been using 5w30 synthetic in my 15 ST..though I do have a huge stash of TGMO 0w20 that I'm gonna start using in it..My car runs great on 5w30 and this last tank of fuel I averaged 39.3mpg so I don't think it's hurting fuel economy

Past few trips on I95 I have been averaging about that on my 5W20 synthetic fill, so I'd guess the losses are negligible.

I didn't know if I would be losing my mind in wanting to switch to a 30 weight with my spirited driving habits.

Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 0-20 AFE. It has performed great for me for several years in my Fords.

+1.....you might also consider 0w20 or 5w20.... in QSUD and PP.

Originally Posted By: Pepsibottle1

Past few trips on I95 I have been averaging about that on my 5W20 synthetic fill, so I'd guess the losses are negligible.

I didn't know if I would be losing my mind in wanting to switch to a 30 weight with my spirited driving habits.

I don't think your crazy..especially since the cooling systems in these cars are barely adequate for short bursts on the street..it's not uncommon for them to get really hot during spirted driving sessions. I don't track mine but my friend tracks his..it's constantly getting coolant temps to 260-270 and goes into limp mode. So yea..I don't think a little thicker will hurt anything..mine gets babied..I've put 31k miles on it in 10 months..130 miles a day all highway

Does anyone know what the factory fill is on these cars, and whether or not it is a special 'break-in' promoting type of oil with higher additive content that needs to be left in for a longer initial period (like some other manufacturers suggest)?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Does anyone know what the factory fill is on these cars, and whether or not it is a special 'break-in' promoting type of oil with higher additive content that needs to be left in for a longer initial period (like some other manufacturers suggest)?
21.gif

From the research I've done after buying mine, the factory fill is nothing special..just motorcraft 5/20 synthetic blend.

21.gif

From the research I've done after buying mine, the factory fill is nothing special..just motorcraft 5/20 synthetic blend.

OK, thanks.
thumbsup2.gif

In that case, if I end up with one, the factory fill will get dumped fairly early.

Also; is the performance of this little hot hatch a big letdown/disappointment when compared to the LS1 4th gen you used to own/drive??

I know it is apples to oranges, (FWD small boosted engine sedan vs. RWD large V-8 sports coupe, but they BOTH have solid rear axles
lol.gif
), but does it's 'tossability' make up for the better ultimate stick of a lower center of gravity, RWD car?

21.gif

OK, thanks.
thumbsup2.gif

In that case, if I end up with one, the factory fill will get dumped fairly early.

Also; is the performance of this little hot hatch a big letdown/disappointment when compared to the LS1 4th gen you used to own/drive??

I know it is apples to oranges, (FWD small boosted engine sedan vs. RWD large V-8 sports coupe, but they BOTH have solid rear axles
lol.gif
), but does it's 'tossability' make up for the better ultimate stick of a lower center of gravity, RWD car?

Hey man..well it's very subjective..my 4th gen camaro was heads/cam/150 shot..It was fast. My 5th gen camaro was cammed/bolt ons (480rwhp)..compared to them the fiesta feels pretty slow honestly. With that being said..the first winding country road the fiesta gets on you suddenly realize that you can carry much higher speeds thru corners. I can take turns faster in the fiesta then I ever could in either one of my camaro; and the fiesta does it with no drama..It just squats a little bit and digs thru the corner. It's the most fun I've ever had in a completely stock car, and it's taught me that driving a slow car fast, is way more fun then driving a fast car slow.

^^^Fair enough, but my 4th gen is set up MUCH more for handling/road course use than for power/drag racing use.

I guess eventually I can upgrade the turbo, fueling system, and intercooler to gain some power, as well as lightening it any way possible, and then add some reservoir style adjustable coil over struts (I wonder if Reiger makes these for the street spec cars??), a Quaife (or such) limited slip diff, and larger anti-sway bars to make the handling top notch.

I'd bet some sticky, 100-200 tread wear donuts even in the stock size would help a stock one out-handle some much more co$tly rides.
wink.gif

Did you do the short shifter, and rear motor mount mods yet?

No I haven't done anything to mine..I change the oil, put tires on it, and drive it pretty conservatively most of the time lol..(It is a Ford after all it'll probably break all by itself, doesn't need my help). Hah jk guys. It comes with some potenzas that have a 160 tread wear rating...in sharp turns it will lift the inside rear wheel (I don't think that's a desirable handling trait but I do think it speaks for how stiff the chassis is in stock form) surprisingly there's no rear sway bar..they use a torsion beam that they made much stiffer then the base fiesta. The problem with modding them is they have wittle itsy bitsy turbos that are pretty much maxed out from the factory..guys get a little more out of them but for the most part the turbo needs to be upgraded. Anyways man good luck with your decision..and have fun in that z28 I miss mine dearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back