Cache Web Content clearing (Win 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triple_Se7en

$50 Site Donor 2024
Recently, the clearing option has changed. For several years prior involving Windows 7/8/10, I would click on "Cache Clearing only once. Now if it shows for example (950MBs), I must mouse-click on it a dozen times at least, only to remove small increments of the Cache on each mouse click.

Is there any way to speed this process-up - to return the process to only 1-2 clicks?

Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
Why would ask this on a web site called Bob the Oil Guy? Ask Google.
There are people on board that know computer stuff. But then there are people that read oil 101 series and think they have learned something.

Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
Why would ask this on a web site called Bob the Oil Guy? Ask Google.

This place is Google-like, but with a different name.
Now go back to sleep and this time set the alarm.

Use something like CCleaner. Although I'm not sure why you need to clear the cache all that often-it's not something that needs to be done frequently.

Go into settings an set you cache max size to ~100mb. default is much larger and mainly needed for slow connections. A few weeks back i had a user with over 36,000 files in the cache.

If it has not moved it may be the path below. Just browse it and delete all files. if its not there google IE cache location.

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\*

Why clear the cache? Are you doing this for troubleshooting or something? Or is for privacy reasons?

I literally have never done it on Windows 10, and even on Windows 8.1 and 7 I maybe did it once a year when I had some oddball cookie that was causing a website to behave weird.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Use something like CCleaner. Although I'm not sure why you need to clear the cache all that often-it's not something that needs to be done frequently.

Seconded. Piriform's CCleaner, Defraggler, Speccy, and Recuva are all great programs.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Why clear the cache? Are you doing this for troubleshooting or something? Or is for privacy reasons?

I literally have never done it on Windows 10, and even on Windows 8.1 and 7 I maybe did it once a year when I had some oddball cookie that was causing a website to behave weird.

Because it frees up memory, first of all. Secondly, if the OP, like myself, leaves his computer on alot and also is a heavy user of tabbed browsing (like 20 to 50 tabs), it's a good idea to clear the cache when you get the chance.

~ Triton (Third Year Computer Science Major)

Use CCleaner, as mentioned. I just use Firefox and set it up to delete everything upon exit, anyhow, even on my home computer. I don't need to be logged into BITOG and online banking from more than one site at a time.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Seconded. Piriform's CCleaner, Defraggler, Speccy, and Recuva are all great programs.

Because it frees up memory, first of all. Secondly, if the OP, like myself, leaves his computer on alot and also is a heavy user of tabbed browsing (like 20 to 50 tabs), it's a good idea to clear the cache when you get the chance.

~ Triton (Third Year Computer Science Major)

Not that I want to be contrary, but I reboot my Windows 10 desktop maybe twice a month and routinely leave Chrome running with 20+ tabs on a regular basis. I've never had to free up memory or anything as a result of that.

I think the old days of leak-prone IE6 or whatever are long gone.

But hey, if it makes you guys feel better to continuously clear out the cache, go for it.

But hey, if it makes you guys feel better to continuously clear out the cache, go for it.

The program wouldn't exist if it weren't useful. I dare you to try using it, despite you thinking you don't need to. You might be surprised at how much temporary files get removed, and you might see a small boost in performance.

Also, we don't "continuously" do it. Once in a while is fine.

~ Triton

Originally Posted By: Triton_330

The program wouldn't exist if it weren't useful. I dare you to try using it, despite you thinking you don't need to. You might be surprised at how much temporary files get removed, and you might see a small boost in performance.

Also, we don't "continuously" do it. Once in a while is fine.

~ Triton

I use CCleaner on occasion. The computer doesn't really feel any different before/after. I think it's a lot of placebo. I suppose I could time a few basic tasks to see if it makes a measurable difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back