(previously repaired) cracked 351 block. trash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the damage and repair (weld) was obviously done by a previous owner. I've had the car 14 years and it apparently never leaked. the damage is in the lifter valley by cylinder 3. it's the area that does not have the yellow dust on it. there is also a close-up photo of the weld showing the spider cracks emanating from it.

I was rebuilding this as a stroker for my 1970 Cougar, but the machine shop found this after it was cleaned. I've decided to pitch this block for the build and use a Dart SHP; but does this block have any value? use for a low-buck stock performance build? junk it?

I can't imagine spending the money to rebuilt an engine with a damaged common and cheap block. Good Ford 351 blocks can't be that expensive.

one vote for "junk". good point. yes, $100 blocks can be found
I suppose a secondary question I have is: is there any reason why I should bring that block home from the machine shop? I think its worth $4 as scrap.. which is not worth it to me

Last edited:
No way i'd build a performance stroker from that. If it was a stock build maybe maybe i'd drill the end of the cracks, heat up the iron and weld those. But if i could find another block for decent money, i'd get another.

Edit: after looking again, i'd junk it. the cracks are toward the cyl so i don't think you can drill them to stop them.

Last edited:
I would not use it for any kind of performance build. The only way I would consider it if it was for a stock rebuild/restoration to keep a car numbers matching but would have it re-welded.

The diesel guys simply plug cracks. They don't even bother to weld them. The trick is to install a sufficient number of plugs to completely eliminate the crack. Generally trouble free.

However, in this case, why bother. I have no idea what stresses are involved in that location. Better to get an intact block.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
It'd make a cool base for a glass-top coffee table.

Aside from that? Leave it at the machine shop and let them scrap it.

Cool idea! Would you use it lifter valley up , with legs attached to the bottom, or timing chain end up?

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
It'd make a cool base for a glass-top coffee table.

Aside from that? Leave it at the machine shop and let them scrap it.

Cool idea! Would you use it lifter valley up , with legs attached to the bottom, or timing chain end up?

For the Ford, I would do it lifter valley up. Depending on the size of the table you could use the valley for remote storage or similar. I've seen rods and pistons flipped and used as the legs, pretty sweet.

I actually have a BMW M70 block that I plan to stand with one cylinder bank close to flat up, and the other pointed out at its 60° angle. The 84mm bore will hold wine bottles perfecty. For now it just sits languishing in storage lol.

A 400 pound coffee table....just what I need.

MAYBE donate it to a school so it could be used as a teaching aid.

It's good you caught the flaw before serious work began. My friend bought a "blueprinted block" before he built a 383 conversion. That's a Chevy small block built using a 400 crank, special pistons and rods. That engine was raucous.

Also, wasn't the repaired crack in the photo at the base of cyl. #5? Kira

Dart blocks are better!. You don't build a hot rod anything To save money!

Originally Posted By: Kira
A 400 pound coffee table....just what I need.

MAYBE donate it to a school so it could be used as a teaching aid.

It's good you caught the flaw before serious work began. My friend bought a "blueprinted block" before he built a 383 conversion. That's a Chevy small block built using a 400 crank, special pistons and rods. That engine was raucous.

Also, wasn't the repaired crack in the photo at the base of cyl. #5? Kira

it's actuall below #3. Ford numbers these cylinders on the passenger side, from front to rear: 1-2-3-4. drivers side is 5-6-7-8

I would put it together myself - so labor is not an issue. but, all things considered, I will junk this. for a coffee table, definitely lifter valley up; or timing cover side up

Originally Posted By: CT8
Dart blocks are better!. You don't build a hot rod anything To save money!

no kidding! this "rebuild", which is now a "build" has taken on a completely different budget and scope than was originally intended!

"speed costs"!

If you don't need to keep your car nunbers-matching, there is no point in repairing that cracked block.

You could locate a 351 that was factory equipped with roller lifters and that would dramatically lower the cost of using a roller cam. Just be sure to buy premium grade lifters for the performance cam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back