Old HONDA almost too good to be true in Wisconsin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too good to be true? Looks like a pile of junk 30 years past it's prime. No way would I want a carbureted car again with 95 horsepower. Can you say top speed on the highway of 73 miles per hour?

I owned one of those when they were new, what a horrible car. It was unable to go up hills with the flow of traffic. It did return about 32MPG. And, it burned a little oil starting at 50,000 miles.

The bigger Honda's were good. The early Civic's were not.

It was one of the better sub-compact car of the 80's, but it isn't as good as newer 90's and 00' and newest car in its class.

It isn't exactly the same but it's similar, the best PC of the 80's isn't even close to a cheap tablet of 8-10 years ago. The best 20-30 years old vehicle isn't close to average vehicle 20-30 years newer.

I sure hope the carb and smog devices work properly. 1980s Honda carb engines had even more vacuum and heat operated gadgetry than almost anything else from the 1980s. If there is a check engine light on, I would simply avoid the car. Some people remove the bulb behind the warning light to fool the buyer.

CV axles may be worn, and most 1980s CV axles sucked to begin with. Rebuilt CV axles have probably been rebuilt 2 or 3 times already. The same story applies to the power steering rack.

There may be electrical glitches that make the car act like a haunted house.

Also, the A/C is probably going to be weak. The A/C system was never very strong on those cars, and that was when they used R12. R-134a would make the system even less effective. Since the car is selling for $700, I doubt the A/C system works or if the car even has A/C.

Originally Posted By: CKN
What a money pit this car would be......

I thought Hondas of that vintage were the pinnacle of automotive engineering? Kind of like all Hondas....

Originally Posted By: itguy08

I thought Hondas of that vintage were the pinnacle of automotive engineering? Kind of like all Hondas....

There have been several improvements in the last 30 years or so......

Definitely improvements but there is a lot of lamenting about how awesome and bulletproof these old Honda/Toyotas were. Not really better or worse than the other cars of the era.

Wouldn't touch it. Not without expecting to rework everything. Maybe with the intent to rework everything--drop in a late(r) model powerplant to make something more unique.

If someone has been maintaining it, I don't see the problem with older cars. I took off across the country in a 21 year old car that had a stack of repair bills and had no issues at all except one tire developed a bulge.
With no maintenance history and grungy looking fluids, looking generally abused, then they can be not worth buying for a dollar.

A lot of uninformed nonsense here about old Civics.
We had a '76 Civic 1500 hatch and two '86 Civic Wagons.
These were sticks, of course, as most small cars were at the time.
Great cars all.
Reliable and easy to fix when needed with zingy engines.
The '76 would reach redline in fourth, its top gear, or about 96 mph.
The two '86 Wagons would hit about the ton in fifth.
No problem with driving as fast as you might want to go and no problems with any hill, including mountain grades.
These cars had ample power for their weight and the Wagons had great utility.
Nothing has better shifting than an old Honda and the handling is go-kart sharp with very minimal understeer or body roll.
Now, you are looking at a thirty year old car, but if it sees regular use and has no glaring problems, I'd consider it.
The timing belt job is easy in these guys as well, which is good, since you should probably do this fairly soon should you buy this car. A clutch is not as easy as it would be on any RWD but isn't too bad. Drive axle replacement is easy as are brakes. These cars also had an easily replaced mechanical fuel pump as well as an easy to get to fuel filter on the driver's side just ahead of the rear wheel.
IOW, these were cars ideal for anyone trying out their first tool set.
Good luck with that on later cars.

My luck wasn't as good with a 1976 Honda Civic 1200. Dang thing was only 5 years old/70K miles and engine blew up. Also was very rusty and parts were expensive. I was better off feeding an American car expensive gas (at that time $1.35).

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Any car great or not from 30 years ago is either going to have constant needs, or already has many needs.

I think the best proof of that is the rapid decline in Volvo bricks on our roads. They were some of the toughest and most reliable cars built, but even they reached the age where constant repairs exceeded what the car was worth.

The other problem when dealing with a car over 20 years old is the rapid decline in parts availability.

Sometimes the California version of the car had numerous differences in order to pass the tougher smog test, and that makes dealing with smog-related problems even more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back