tow a 1984 F150 4wd manual on a dolly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1984 F150 4wd manual trans - is it ok to tow on a dolly with only the front wheels lifted and the transfer case in neutral? I dont have the owners manual - although an owners manual from a 96 states its fine up to 55mph. would it be better to remove the driveshaft? put it on a trailer? if I could get it hauled for $1 a mile I would... 300 miles
smile.gif

I wouldn't. It may be possible, but for just 300 miles I'd drive it, or if it's not able to be driven then just trailer it with a capable tow vehicle.

Four bolts, a roll of duct tape, & a ratchet strap-why risk it? Just make sure it's strapped up tight enough & out of the way that it can't slide/fall out of the transfer case.

If it has the NP208 transfer case it should be fine if the case is in neutral, and will stay there. The oil pump runs on the output shaft. Dropping the driveshaft is probably always better if you can.

I assume you have a way of stopping 4400 lbs of truck and 400 more of presumably unbraked dolly?

I'm not sure that I am comfortable driving the truck that distance - it has mostly sat for years - being driven once a year or less and while we have driven it around the property a few times in the last year, our route is very rural and help would be hard to get. I suppose I could put 100 miles or so on it locally before hitting the road.

I have a one-ton truck available to tow it.

Another idea-measure it, & see if it will fit on a U-Haul car trailer-they have surge brakes, & can handle the weight. I hauled my GMC C3500 SRW in my sig home this way, it fit on one OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back