Traveler synthetic oil a slow seller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was in local Tractor Supply today and noticed on the oil aisle that only 3 or 4 quarts each of the Traveler synthetic in 5w -30 and 10 w- 30. The bottles were really dusty , sad looking, and the labels were yellowing and peeling off. They were on the very end corner of a shelf, almost hidden from view. The shelf next to it was full of fresh looking quart bottles and gallon bottles of Traveler conventional in all the various weights. The synthetic quarts were priced at $3.99 ea. That is the cheapest price around in my area for a quart of synthetic oil as far as I have seen. Just wondering is anyone else has noticed this at their local tractor supply with regards to their brand of synthetic oil. The synthetic oil bottles were in such sad looking shape, that the average consumer would probably not buy them unless they were marked way down on the clearance shelf.

Same at our store with the Traveler brand. Must not be high priority to have someone go around dusting off oil bottles. They do have the best price on oil but the brands are limited and not many 5qt jugs. I know they sell a lot of Rotella to the farmers.

high priced and not competitive? what are you smoking?
i use travellers in my engines all the time. 5 gal pales of 15/40 for 39$, qt's of 5/20 syn for 3.99. it's great oil and having 105K on my civic and 230K on my cummins with travellers oil. it's a fine product.
Most people wouldn't' think of going to a tractor supply store for car oils.

With in 13 miles or so there are two Tractor supply they are usually disappointing in every way.

Do y'all think it is WPP or Warren blended oil?

I sometimes kind of think that if it is not branded by an oil company, then it is probably Warren. AZOB, Supertech, spectrum, and other house brand labels.

Quote:
high priced and not competitive? what are you smoking?

Ok I admit I never price matched, they might beat stores like Wal-Mart, Rural King(Big R), Menard's, Orscheln Farm and Home, and Buchheit. Price match is only good on Identical items, and they only match, not beat competitors price, waste of time, IMO.

On the shelf price is not competitive, about $2 higher than other stores, and stock is not top tier, low inventories. I don't shop there, I got better stores.

Last edited:
Traveller oil is too expensive in my area. You can spend the same money, or sometimes less, and get a name brand oil at Walmart. It may be a better value when you're buying it in multiple gallons, I have not checked.

Same as Super Tech and darn good oil, also nearly the best price too. In our area, only Rural King has the other Warren syn oil for $2.59 qt, so it's a better buy, probably just as good of oil. Both are real sleeper deals on oil. I've used both, checked their specs, and they're really strong oils. If we here, and that includes me, could just get our heads wrapped around the fact that oil, much like gasoline, has become a staple commodity, and with only a few exceptions, is all pretty darn good. Take a read on PQIA, and you'll see that some of these oils look astonishingly like Valvoline, SO PUS etc.

Yeah, but these are all USA synthetics which means they are really fancy blends most likely... If that was the price for a Euro spec synthetic, yeah haw - we'd be all over it and shooting as we ran away
laugh.gif

I'm not diss'ing the oil. I'm sure it's fine. Their conventional HDEO is great. We run it in field tractors that run hot and hard 8 hours a day. No problems
smile.gif

Last edited:
I like Tractor Supply for a lot of things but oil shopping is not one of them. Not at all competitive around me when compared to Wal-Mart. Plus TSC's oil filter selection is dismal and 99% FRAM orange can of death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back