Help w/Transmission Drain/Fill 08 Honda CR-V 4wd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning to do a transmission drain & fill on my wifes 2008 Honda CR-V 4wd. My plan is to measure the amount that comes out and then put the exact same amount of new fluid in. I'm looking for some recommendations on a container that would be good to do this with?

Last edited by a moderator:
Honda's usually just have a drain plug with a magnet on the end.

Check your owners manual for drain and fill capacity. What fluid will you be using?

Save some quart oil containers; they're graduated in 100 ml down the translucent side.

I would just put the rated amount in; seals, even new ones, work by weeping fluid very slowly.

I purchased a transmission funnel at walmart that had a long hose end, graduated measurements and a stop valve. That made it easy to get the last partial amount in without going over.

I bought a transparent bucket at Lowes that holds 5 qts for just a few bucks. Used it for the same thing. Still a good idea to verify you have the level correct. It may have been off when you started.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
This is cheap and super handy.

Graduated

That is close to what I'm looking for but would like to find something with about a 6 quart capacity.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Honda's usually just have a drain plug with a magnet on the end.

Check your owners manual for drain and fill capacity. What fluid will you be using?

Correct, it does have a drain plug/magnet. Checked the owners manual but did not see the specs for the transmission drain and fill. Will be using the Honda DW-1 transmission fluid.

What is the method to check the level? Adding the same amount you remove is all well and good, unless the starting level was too high or too low.

5Qt jug will be way plenty actually it will be about 3.20qt's for a drain and fill.

The fluid level is currently correct. To check the level, it has a dipstick that is checked within a specified amount of time after turning off the engine. Obviously the vehicle is supposed to be parked on a level spot and the engine should be at "normal" operating temperature.

Originally Posted By: klt1986
The fluid level is currently correct. To check the level, it has a dipstick that is checked within a specified amount of time after turning off the engine. Obviously the vehicle is supposed to be parked on a level spot and the engine should be at "normal" operating temperature.

No you check a Honda fluid level on flat and stone cold.

So if it's got a dipstick, why all the fuss? Drain the old fluid out and fill to the correct level. No need to over complicate things here.

Originally Posted By: dave123

Wrong!

The owners manual plainly states the fluid should be checked with the engine off and at "normal" operating temperature. Unless you can provide a link from Honda that states otherwise, I'll stick with the information in the Honda owners manual.

Originally Posted By: dave123

Wrong!

The owners manual plainly states the fluid should be checked with the engine off and at "normal" operating temperature. Unless you can provide a link from Honda that states otherwise, I'll stick with the information in the Honda owners manual.

Nope no link just 3 late model Hondas a 05 08 12
Transmission always finished filled that way found it to be best way.

So your "best way" is better than. Honda's service direction? Sure thing.

OP, I'm truly envious that your transmission has a dipstick.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
So your "best way" is better than. Honda's service direction? Sure thing.

OP, I'm truly envious that your transmission has a dipstick.

I'm not the clueless person asking how to do a drain and fill on something as easy as a Honda transmission just posting experience and works best he can do whatever he wants it's not my vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back