Rotella T6 5W40, 8,000 mi, '09 Cobalt SS 2.0T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rotella T6 5W40 UOA on a 2009 Cobalt SS EcoTec 2.0l Turbo w/86,900 miles. 8,000 mile run. Daily-driven with 50/50 city/highway driving in southeast US climate. The vehicle is running 30psi of boost with an unknown tune (Possibly a Trifecta Tune), unknown turbocharger (most likely stock). The engine sees quite a bit of high-rpm/full psi use.

Looking at the aluminum and chromium, I think whoever is driving that car needs to dial back the boost or use a higher octane racing fuel which is unlikely to happen.

I agree, the tune is too aggressive for the engine and/or fuel.

But what is strange is the low zinc and viscosity. Rotella doesn't shear like that. It seems like there might have been an additive added that is diluting the oil.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The Zinc and Phos are so different that the other samples.

That's what I thought. He swears he used T6, but he's not a car-savvy guy, so it's at least questionable.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Looking at the aluminum and chromium, I think whoever is driving that car needs to dial back the boost or use a higher octane racing fuel which is unlikely to happen.

We spoke with him about the high pressure he's running on pump gas and how it showed up on the analysis. He's now trying to figure out exactly what tune he has and how to reflash to a different one.

Originally Posted By: ryanm8
I agree, the tune is too aggressive for the engine and/or fuel.

But what is strange is the low zinc and viscosity. Rotella doesn't shear like that. It seems like there might have been an additive added that is diluting the oil.

Quite possible. He claims that nothing was added, but he's a young kid, so I take it with a grain of salt.

Yeah, I'm going to have to say that's not Rotella T6. The add pack just isn't right. Thanks for sharing, though. If he brought someone that oil for them to put in it, they may have kept it and put something else in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back