tight pocket knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Hen & Rooster 3 blade pocket knife that i've had a few years. Its alway been hard to open. I have cleaned it and opened and closed the blades over and over. I have cleaned and sprayed it with kroil. I keep my knives really sharp, so its a bid dangerous to try opening this knife at times. Its enough that sometimes you chip out your fingernail/thumbnail opening it.

Right now i'm leaving it open with the blades at an agle so that the spine is tensioned.

It's this knife.

hen-rooster-hr413ci-h-r-3-blade-cracked-ice-3-7-8-folding-knife-c3bdab37e2c0f2a6f1b2fec22ba520ea.jpg

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited:
Maybe try whitening toothpaste in the pivot. Or car polish. It may grind/ polish the pivot area to loosen it.
I've never done this but maybe heard it sometime ago.
If it's the spring tension...don't know

Last edited:
Europeans like really tight back springs on their slip joint knives. Perhaps it's because they are generally not allowed to carry locking blades. I have a large single blade Victorinox slip joint that is also very tight. Nature of the beast.

Hen and Rooster knives have a limited lifetime warranty. You might contact them here and perhaps they might offer a fix or replacement. It might be worth a try. I have several of their knives, but never had a problem.

http://henandrooster.com/contact.aspx

Last edited:
If you really have open-closed it numerous times to break it in with no change maybe try wiggling the blades laterally to try to develop play in the pivot rivet? Otherwise, maybe try a different oil; Kroil is quite thin compared to...well...everything. Maybe something not so radical like Triflow, ATF, RemOil or CLP would help?

Originally Posted By: buck91
If you really have open-closed it numerous times to break it in with no change maybe try wiggling the blades laterally to try to develop play in the pivot rivet? Otherwise, maybe try a different oil; Kroil is quite thin compared to...well...everything. Maybe something not so radical like Triflow, ATF, RemOil or CLP would help?
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Agree, I would try a good lubricating oil next, not a penetrating oil like Kroil.

I'll re oil and try wiggling the blade with pliers, I've oiled in the past with heavier oil.
I just tried the kroil for what the heck, in case there was some corrosion on the pins before i got it.

I reread your OP. While it's true that European slip joint knives are often tight yours sounds too tight. I agree with gman about sending it in for adjustment or replacement. H&R knives are generally not cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back