pennzoil ultra platinum pure plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if he's trolling. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that one. Obviously, as to who cares, he does, and lots of BITOGers do concern themselves with such things.

Originally Posted By: Brayden
Is pennzoil ultra platinum pure plus a group 3,4,or 5 base stock?

Given the price up here, I hope it's cut with a significant amount of gold powder, that you can fish out of your oil filter media at the end of the OCI.

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
Someone asks a fair question and gets called a troll?!

It's what you get for being sociable here sometimes.

Originally Posted By: maximus
who cares? troll.

I care. I'd like to know what kind of stock it is, after all I do use it. This person isn't trolling in my opinion, they are asking a fair and reasonable question about motor oil on a motor oil forum full of knowledgeable people. Give them a break!

If I'm not mistaken, I believe it's considered a Group 3 oil as the GTL base stocks are considered Group 3 and SOPUS and others have gone on record as saying there's technically no such thing as Group 3+ as much as that probably fits. I think this is covered in the Pennzoil Q&A/FAQ section in the header section of this site.

who cares? troll.
Please help me understand,as by definition, trolls are typically inflammatory, offensive, and usually are trying to get a "rise" out of people. This seemed neither inflammatory nor offensive, so I'm not sure how this quantifies as a troll post. I wouldn't want to make the same mistake. Perhaps this forum has different guidelines than other forums.

Last edited:
He posted 4 different threads with 4 different, but similar questions. That's not trolling? I would definitely say he's trying to get a rise out of people.

I can see your point. Or, maybe he's like me, and he's ignorant. Not using ignorance as a slur either. I get ripped sometimes for my use of the word.

Originally Posted By: mr_boring
I can see your point. Or, maybe he's like me, and he's ignorant. Not using ignorance as a slur either. I get ripped sometimes for my use of the word.

Amen to that! I quite often use words for their literal sense that can also have a negative connotation. But then irony nips in the butt because I say "no, literally," and then they don't get that I'm using "literally" literally.

Lmao.

~ Triton

Originally Posted By: Brayden
Is pennzoil ultra platinum pure plus a group 3,4,or 5 base stock?

Tell us why it makes a difference first.

Because the bigger number is better.

Might as well call them group A,B,C,D.

Kinda like with fire extinguishers. Some are "better" than others but only in certain circumstances.

Because some of us are trying to actually understand "synthetic lubricants" and what makes them tick...

Setting aside the endless Mobil-1 fan-boy instant recommendations as the go-to oil for anything... This thread is about one of the best USA made current lubes out there. Figuring it out ought to a concern to lots of folks...

Why is it better? Just because the fracker's have unleashed a bounty of natural gas, maybe it does not make a better lube, just a better profit margin if you can figure out how to market it "up scale" ...

I believe the Shell / Pennzoil Pure Plus base is a very high purity Group 3 oil where the product is made via Gas To Liquid (GTL) process from natural gas. Rather than the conventional Group 3 refinement of crude oil with HydroCracking. But GTL still uses HC I believe.

The GTL yields a very high purity Group 3, sometimes call Group 3+ by some, which appears to have very good properties. According to some reports I have read these properties approach or equal Group 4 PAO in some cases. But it's hard to get solid figures.

A property that appears to be very good with GTL oils is their very low Noack volatility. I think PAO still has very good low temperature cold flow properties. I wouldn't say any is better, they are different and it depends on your application. It also depends on how well the final product is blended and the quality of the additive package used.

He posted 4 different threads with 4 different, but similar questions. That's not trolling? I would definitely say he's trying to get a rise out of people.

And you probably posted in all 4, LOL

who cares? troll.

After seeing his last few posts regarding base oils question I am starting to agree with Maximus's observation.

Nay I reread his questions definitely a troll behind these.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: VNTS

And you probably posted in all 4, LOL

And you probably got picked last in gym, LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back