Group 5 synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Brayden
Who makes a true group 5 synthetic oil

Calumet. They Make POE.

As far as actual engine oils it is largely irrelevant. Group 3,4,5 it makes no difference.

a good motor oil uses many different basestocks to create an optimal package. What is important is a good blend.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08

Calumet. They Make POE.

As far as actual engine oils it is largely irrelevant. Group 3,4,5 it makes no difference.

a good motor oil uses many different basestocks to create an optimal package. What is important is a good blend.

Indeed, you can make a really terrible oil with group 5 or a really top of the line oil with group 3, it all depends on how it's made and what's put into that base oil.

If I get a group 5 base oil and try to run it with insufficient additives it will sludge up.

If you are new to motor oil and want to find good ones look at manufacturer approvals and builder approvals to get a good idea of the performance of the oil.

Here's some good ones you might want to see on the jug.

VW 507.00
MB 229.5
Dexos 1/2
BMW LL01/LL04
Ford M2C948
ACEA A5/B5
Porsche A40

Of course you want bare minimum specs like ILSAC GF5 or API SN for many popular applications but the others in addition to that mean something

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: donnyj08

Calumet. They Make POE.

Indeed, you can make a really terrible oil with group 5 or a really top of the line oil with group 3, it all depends on how it's made and what's put into that base oil.

If I get a group 5 base oil and try to run it with insufficient additives it will sludge up.

If you are new to motor oil and want to find good ones look at manufacturer approvals and builder approvals to get a good idea of the performance of the oil.

Here's some good ones you might want to see on the jug.

VW 507.00
MB 229.5
Dexos 1/2
BMW LL01/LL04
Ford M2C948
ACEA A5/B5
Porsche A40

Of course you want bare minimum specs like ILSAC GF5 or API SN for many popular applications but the others in addition to that mean something

Agreed on looking for specs on the bottle, but A5/B5?! That's thinner than water and won't protect a thing
wink.gif
. A3/B4 is a much better choice
wink.gif

Genuine ester (goupe 5) oils are Redline, some Amsoil series, Xenum, Motul 300V, Yacco Galaxie, some Ravenol oils and some others. AFAIK there's no oil composed 100% by esters - they need to be combined with other basestocks to funccion correctly. Groupe 5 oils usually contain some group 3 used as "carriage" for those esters. Having in mind that esters have quite short life groupe 5 have to be combined with other groupes in order to achieve a funccional oil ready for civil use without the obligation to be changed at ridiculously short intervals.

Once again I step in with my pedantic, but important point: Group V is not just esters. Group V can not be described as "synthetic" either. Group V is a HUGE mixture of all sorts of base oils, from esters, PIOs, glycols, PFPE to medium- and low-VI naphthenic mineral oils and even vegetable oils.

True, in the context of an engine oil discussion, "group V" is most likely to be a proxy for "ester", but if you mean "ester" then why not say "ester"?

Originally Posted By: weasley
Once again I step in with my pedantic, but important point: Group V is not just esters. Group V can not be described as "synthetic" either. Group V is a HUGE mixture of all sorts of base oils, from esters, PIOs, glycols, PFPE to medium- and low-VI naphthenic mineral oils and even vegetable oils.

True, in the context of an engine oil discussion, "group V" is most likely to be a proxy for "ester", but if you mean "ester" then why not say "ester"?

Yep, there's "mineral" Gr Vs.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3687983/Mineral_Group_V_Lubricants_-_m

Originally Posted By: jdavis
The legendary GC green was group 3, enough said..

Combination, with more then 50% of PAO (still is). Also it had Easters and still has.
GC is case in point that it is mix what matters not 100% PAO or POE.

Originally Posted By: nicholas
I thought GC was group 3-4-5 ?

There was no Group III or conventional esters in the sample I analyzed some years ago - just PAO and likely some Ketjenlube (an unusual polymeric ester).

Tom NJ

Hi,
over the years I've been on BITOG, Castrol's German origin lubricants with ester content have been oft discussed

So again;
Many Oil Companies were involved in Germany's synthetic lubricants and fuels development programme during the 1030s. It was extensive, comprehensive and it's remnants still live around us today. Lubricants and fuels were developed that enabled the MB and Auto Union racing cars of the 1930s and of course turbine and jet engine products

Castrol Race lubricants (1940s >)
Castrol's R 30/40 series were/are castor based racing lubricants. Specific conditions apply to their use (not for conventional use)
These can't be mixed with mineral a lubricant and a changeover regime is applicable
Castrol's R50 - this version is/was a hybrid mineral/synthetic

My family used these lubricants in [censored] engines in Speedway bikes during the 1950s

These lubricants are still widely used in the exotic/Classic MC scene

Castrol Formula R Synthetic (mid 1970s SE >)
Castrol's 15W-50 Formula R synthetic had a significant ester content and had the characteristic exhaust odour. It was a successful product that I had a lot to do with - both in testing & private use. I tested it over greatly extended OCIs, various climatic conditions in a variety of petrol and diesel engines, it was a trouble free product
This lubricant later matured and was reformulated into the BMW 10W-60 that is often discussed here. BMW and associated organisations assisted in its development over time

Castrol Formula SLX (mid 1960s SH/CF A3-96/B3-96 >) THE ORIGINAL "GREEN" GC
This 0W-30 "controlled phosphorus & low chlorine" lubricant had a significant ester content (castor). In was widely promoted here in OZ and used as a race lubricant in V8 Supercars. In normal use it was a disaster due to a lack of in field testing! It featured in various engine complications! It was quickly withdrawn from service, reformulated and then re-introduced as a SL compliant product. It survived - it was NOT green!

Castrol's German developed synthetic ATF/Gear lubricants are amongst the very best of all. I can attest to this after many millions of use in a variety of vehicles

Want to hear something funny? I shared a shuttle ride in Colorado with a couple of German mechanics who were in the U.S. to do testing and tweaking on the next gen Porsche Panamera. I did BITOG a solid and asked them what Porsche's preferred oil was. I fully expected it to be Castrol. Guess what. It's Mobil 1. AND, they are using lighter grade oils just like we are; even some 0W-20's.

Originally Posted By: weasley

The laws of the American language are very different to those of English.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back