G-05 Change intervals, 3 or 5 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, hopefully this topic hasn't been beat to death already, but here goes:

I bought 4 gallons of G-05 concentrate with the intention of changing the coolant in my Mark VIII and Mustang.

The Mark VIII needed a new rad, so obviously I did all of that at the same time (about 3-4 weeks ago).

I planned to change the coolant in my Mustang today, since the last time it was changed was July 2013, and I had some spare time this weekend.

Well, the [censored] block heater on the Lincoln failed catastrophically yesterday and now I'll be replacing it with a new core plug, and of course, using up the remaining coolant.

When I changed the coolant in the Mustang in 2013, I drained and refilled the rad 4 or 5 (maybe 6) times within a two week period, all with distilled water and G-05. Yes I'm really picky and wanted to make sure that all of the old coolant is out, hopefully anyways.

So my question is, since I changed it so many times in 2013, can I stretch the interval to the original 5 years? Or just don't be a cheap b-tard and change it this year?

Off topic, but if anyone has any suggestions for replacing core plugs -I've always used blue threadlocker before driving them in with varying success. Want to be leak free the first time round.

Valvoline's G05 says 5 years/ 150,000 miles IIRC.

I am not sure whether or not antifreeze is time sensitive?

Interesting. Ford says 5 years initial fill and then 3 years thereafter.

I'm guessing they say that because of shops/dealers/diys/luber goobers mixing with tap water and not flushing everything out?

This is what the Valvoline site says about Zerex G05

Automaker approved technology. Protection for up to 5 years / 150,000 miles in light duty applications or 3 years / 300,000 in heavy duty applications.

Originally Posted By: Canadastang

I'm guessing they say that because of shops/dealers/diys/luber goobers mixing with tap water and not flushing everything out?

They probably want you to do a drain and fill which means 60% new. 60% every 3 years equals 100% every five years in their minds. Plus Marketing wants to sell the gas n go lifestyle; just oil changes and tires for the first 100K.

Flushing is a little crazy for basic maintenance if kept up on, but, hey, whatever.
wink.gif

I did a complete change of my cooling system on my Ford truck. Local shop put in a NAPA rebuilt engine into my 97 Ford F150. Also put in a new radiator. They put in a universal coolant. I did some reading and got to wondering if the coolant was a Dex clone? Well maybe if it was I thought I would change that out. Six months after the work on my truck I did the slow multi-drain and refill with distilled water. I got some G0-5 Zerex from Napa and that is in my truck now. I am planning to do a radiator drain and refill every 2 years from this point with the G0-5 to keep it fresh in my system.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: Canadastang

They probably want you to do a drain and fill which means 60% new. 60% every 3 years equals 100% every five years in their minds. Plus Marketing wants to sell the gas n go lifestyle; just oil changes and tires for the first 100K.

Flushing is a little crazy for basic maintenance if kept up on, but, hey, whatever.
wink.gif

What he said. If you are going to flush it you can do 5 years for each interval.

You're removing the block heater and replacing it with a plug? I assume you're referring to the disc shaped hole plugs which came from the factory.
I thought they just hammered into place.

I think 5 years is pushing it. I went 5 on the MC Gold (G-05) in my 2010 FX4 and I had "floaties" in the coolant. Granted Ford stated 5 years or 100K and I went to 150K, but I would be taking a hard look at it between 3 and 4 years.

I believe the Volvo takes G05. Who knows how long that stuff has been in there.. Plus a few years ago, her dad apparently topped it off with some generic brand because he thought it looked low.

I need to do a flush ASAP.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Volvo does not use G05.

Are you sure?

My 04 S60R did not. It was a blue/green colored coolant.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Volvo does not use G05.

Are you sure?

My 04 S60R did not. It was a blue/green colored coolant.

My 06 V70 has green coolant.

It's hard to say what type of coolant your car takes just from the dyed color.. Motorcraft Gold is basically G05, but its yellow.

I have googled this topic many times before and have seen lots of folks turning to G05 as a suitable replacement since I am assuming the OEM coolant was a HOAT as well? (although I am no chemist.)

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
This is what the Valvoline site says about Zerex G05

Automaker approved technology. Protection for up to 5 years / 150,000 miles in light duty applications or 3 years / 300,000 in heavy duty applications.

Looks like it is a function of number of cycles/exposure, and they translate that into easier to understand units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back