New Confuser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pandus13
OP,sleddriver
can you post the pictures of the stickers on the PS case?
maybe we can find you an alternative?
warning: probably you may have to jerry-rig it back since dell PS are a bit smaller then regular PS...
Here's the info I posted earlier:

Dell PS
Model: L240AS-00
DELL P/N: 2TXYM
P/N: PS-5241-5DF
Date code: R1118 (Jan 18, 2011?)

I'll post a photo later.

I'm thinking my $$$ would be better spent buying a QUALITY, efficient, aftermarket PS, mounting it externally and just snaking the cables through the hole left by removing the OEM one.

It appears once again, Dell laid a rotten egg with these SFF supplies, they don't even have them in stock new! Buying used on-line is a [censored] shoot, as they're used, not new. Royal PITA....didn't realize this was an issue when I bought a smaller case size.

I appreciate your assistance!

Update:

Just got off the phone with a supervisor at dell financial srvcs. She was more accomodating than the email I received from someone else. Yet, the story was the same: 30 day warranty. If you want a longer one, you can buy it. We only deal in USED computers. The PS you referred to has NOT been recalled. We've seen very low PS faults with these. You can get a replacement on Amazon, e-bay, tiger-direct, etc.

Problem is they're all used. Further, she was surprised when I noted that even DELL no longer sells NEW ones..."things change". Really? For a computer with a date code of 2011?

I was polite, but firm. Pulled my EE card when she began over generalizing about hardware. I told her this experience has educated me about just what Dell is selling and that their definition of "refurb" is far different from mine. Furthermore, that if I ever do use their bid process again, I'll stop far lower knowing that even used parts, particularly OEM power supplies, will be used, not really checked for bad lots. Unfortunately this is the game to be played when you buy a Dell with a small case and a PS with an iffy past.

Lesson Learned.

She did finally offer to refund a portion of my payment. I thanked her for doing so and for her time. No reason to be rude.

Afterwards, I contacted discount electronics in nearby Austin. I already knew one store was out of these PS, but wanted to see when more would be available. "Soon" I was told. I was also told that NONE of their Austin/Round Rock stores have ANY of these PS's period. "They're very popular" Gee, I now understand why! I mentioned that their website even says they have some "Yeah, it does that...even when we're out."

Caveat Emptor!

015_zpshxmahnvt.jpg

Per request, here's the label.

I've had no luck locating a replacement supply locally after checking about 6 different business. I picked up an Antec 350W Basiq BP 350 from Fry's, thinking it might be possible to use/adapt it.

The Dell PS uses a 2x12 main power plug + a 2x2 smaller power plug. The Antec uses a 2x10 & a 2x2. The voltage's are the same, but the pinout will have to be adapted, if possible. Any suggestions on how to do this?

One shop suggested PS's from both FSP & Sparkle. Haven't had time to research this yet.

They also mentioned this was a mini-ITX/Flex ATX system?

Was also told that the newer version of the OP 790 is the OP 7010. They pulled the cover off one & the model # of the PS is F79TD. It had a date code from 2014. So I'll do some searching for this newer version. Perhaps it's more reliable?

You have an older supply before they went to the 24 pin standard. You can usually use these with a newer MB by simply plugging in and leaving 4 socket pins in the board at one end unused. It should only fit one way. The extra 4 pins are simply additional +12 +5 +3.3 and ground in parallel with the existing ones.

In some cases there is a floating 4 pin which can be plugged into the extra socket space of a 24 pin MB at the end of the big 20 pin, or left dangling for 20 pin MB. The wires in this 4 pin would be yellow, red, orange and black.

The 4 pin you plug in near the CPU should have two yellow (+12) and two black (ground).

Last edited:
Mk378

I had another look at the Antec and noticed another 4p connector I missed. It plugs in next to the 20p. This is in addition to the other 4p with two ylw & two blk wires. Further, all the wiring colors are the same.

Unfortunately, I noticed that the DVD drive requires a mini SATA power cable and there's not one on the Antec. Rats....

Therefore may need to swap the Antec for another at Fry's with a mini-SATA power.

Thanks for your reply!

You may need to buy or build an adapter for that. The two-wire mini optical drive SATA is used only on these SFF rigs that put a slim laptop DVD drive in a desktop. So you probably won't find a full-size desktop supply with such a connector.

Of course the rest of the computer will still work without the DVD drive powered.

Last edited:
You are correct and I didn't realize that was a LT optical drive. (Lots to learn about the SFF rigs...). Fry's didn't have any adapters, so I'll just cut it off the DPS and use it.

Looking forward to getting that machine back on line and being done with this very unexpected & unwelcome interruption to my life. Not having a source of NEW PS's for these machines is quite frustrating and a major drawback.

Never again.......

Update:

Pulled a ThermalTake TR2-430 PS out of my previous confuser to the OP790, a dell dimension 5150, snaked the wiring harness into the void left by the removed PS, plugged it in and fired her up. All's well and I'm finally out of Dellhell!

Like the song Truckin' says "What a long, strange trip it's been!" Too real and no fun.

I cleaned all fans of dust & dirt before reassembly and got it all out. The only thing I'll have to modify is to cut the mini-SATA power connector from the OEM supply and wire it into the new harness so the LT-style optical drive has power.

The TT PS is a quality unit and will easily drive the 790. I'll build some small shelves for the machine & external supply to mount them higher up on my desk side and get them off the floor.

Won't have to worry about some used/refurb'd/$%^&! bought off ebay/amazon/discount electronics/etc. fails just outside of its 30 day warranty. I'd of wasted $50 to $80 and been right back to having to get ANOTHER used piece of JUNK from some other recycler.

What a ROYAL PITA.......thanks dell for the 'weird' trip.

Caveat Emptor!

hardly a HQ power supply its basically an overrated 300w Hec unit..

still more than sufficient

Geesh, as if having my main machine down for nearly a week, with other things going on, wasn't stressful enough, you want to repeatedly rain-on-my-parade by telling me to return the machine (I can't), buy an intel core 2 duo instead (downgrade from a 3rd gen i3?), then label the TT "hardly a HQ power supply".

Ohio must truly be miserable this time of year. Sucks to be you & living there, eh?

Go harass someone else rand. Your (useless) comments on my thread aren't welcome, nor necessary.

Don't you have anything better to do?

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Update:

The TT PS is a quality unit and will easily drive the 790.

Eh, maybe I came off abit Pops_Rivet on you

That powersupply IS an overrated mediocre power supply at best
A step up from ones that come "free" with 29$ cases

Good Quality would be something that is at least 80+ bronze and doesn't explode/fail if you run it at "rated" load.

Try reading on http://www.jonnyguru.com/

To find out what a HQ powersupply is. I didnt attack you personally or call your wife names.. no need to be offended over a power supply.

I suggested returning the 790 after you couldnt source a reasonably priced power supply.

If you want to run an external one that is a good "outside the box"
grin2.gif
option most wouldn't consider.

Make sure there is enough airflow through the 790 without a powersupply fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back