Electrical Gremlin or Voltage Regulator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend has a 2006 Hyundai Sonata with roughly 112,000 miles on it.

Mechanically, it's in pretty good condition except for one recurring problem:

She is constantly replacing taillight, brake light, or headlight bulbs. She's lucky to get one year of service after replacing any particular bulb.

No, I do not know what brand replacement bulbs she is buying but I do know she is not allowing oils from her skin to come in contact with the glass bulb before or during installation.

This dilemma seems to have repeated itself numerous times with other 2006 Sonata owners, at least based on what is posted on a couple of forums. Lots of complaints but no solution(s).

I'm guessing she should have the voltage regulator checked. And start buying Bosch long-life replacement bulbs, though that won't cure an issue in the wiring harness.

Thoughts? Other than a few of you saying "she should not have purchased a Hyundai."

Yeah an alternator test would be a good idea.

My great-aunt has a 2006 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L w/ about 144k miles. It's been an absolutely fantastic car. She's had it about 6 years, has only needed a power steering hose.

I vote Gremlin...

My 2001 Elantra will burn burn low beam headlights at the same time. The funny thing is that they work just fine until you go to turn them on again- then nothing... POOF! they're both out. Seems semi common with XD Elantras. I've read about it on other forums and tech boards like Identifix. As far as I know, nobody has come up with a cause or solution.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
I vote Gremlin...

My 2001 Elantra will burn burn low beam headlights at the same time. The funny thing is that they work just fine until you go to turn them on again- then nothing... POOF! they're both out. Seems semi common with XD Elantras. I've read about it on other forums and tech boards like Identifix. As far as I know, nobody has come up with a cause or solution.
Been there ,done that, twice so far in 50 yrs of hacking around on cars. That is a classic symptom of over charging.
I dunno about your particular car,But One fried headlights like flash bulbs.Pull the headlight switch on my 54 International and the over charged battery and POP. The other blew up the battery on MDW's Kitty, her 84 series 3 xj6. I would very carefully . remove the negative battery cable and then check the voltage across the terminals. It will probably be around 15 volts or so. You may want to wear safety gear. if you smell rotten eggs especially. The regulator has failed.
sick.gif

Hyundai's are notorious for bad factory grounds. My neighbors 07 Sonata was burning through headlight bulbs every year. We went through and cleaned every ground we could find, at least a dozen or more. The ground bolts are attached to painted metal. We removed the bolts and sanded down to bare metal. Then covered the bolts with some grease. He's on the same set of head light bulbs for over 2 years now. Clean every ground connection up, there's some hidden like under the battery tray and along the drivers fender.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
I vote Gremlin...

Been there ,done that, twice so far in 50 yrs of hacking around on cars. That is a classic symptom of over charging.
I dunno about your particular car,But One fried headlights like flash bulbs.Pull the headlight switch on my 54 International and the over charged battery and POP. The other blew up the battery on MDW's Kitty, her 84 series 3 xj6. I would very carefully . remove the negative battery cable and then check the voltage across the terminals. It will probably be around 15 volts or so. You may want to wear safety gear. if you smell rotten eggs especially. The regulator has failed.
sick.gif

Not so, charging voltage is normal.

My family had 2 2003 Hyundai's, One would go thru every light bulb In a years time, the other never had a bulb go bad in 12 years. Did nothing to either one other than replace timing belts and routine maintenance. They were both Sonatas bought new at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back