Leaky fuel tank on B&S Quantum enigne

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tank started leaking today at the mold seam, I think. I can buy a new tank for ~$30, I can buy a used tank for ~$10, or maybe I can seal it with some Black RTV or other material for less than the $10.

Recommendations? 14 year old mower that still runs great.

Thanks,

Very common thing for the Briggs Quantum wrap-around tank. I know I tried various sealants on one and ultimately just replaced the tank. This was 25+ years ago and that Toro Recycler is still in use to this day.

OK, sounds like my options are new tank or used tank, and who knows how long the used tank will last before it cracks and leaks.

Are there any other components inside the tank that I should replace when I install the new tank? I can see a disc on the bottom of the tank whenever I refuel the mower. Is this a filter or other service part, or just a molded in feature of the tank?

I would bet the "disc" that you see in the tank will fall out if you shake the tank upside down when you take it off. It is usually part of the gas cap that falls off. There no replaceable parts in the tank.

I don't know if all the tanks are the same, but I am pretty sure I have a used one laying around somewhere. I bought a new tank after mine started leaking at the seam and shortly thereafter the engine took a dump. If it's the one that you need you could have it if you wanted to pay the shipping (don't know how much it would cost).

Originally Posted By: 137_Trenton
I don't know if all the tanks are the same, but I am pretty sure I have a used one laying around somewhere. I bought a new tank after mine started leaking at the seam and shortly thereafter the engine took a dump. If it's the one that you need you could have it if you wanted to pay the shipping (don't know how much it would cost).

Thanks but I already ordered one right before reading your message. Perhaps another BITOG member can use yours. It is a great offer you extended!

I got a Toro recycler out of the trash in a subdivision I was working in. Cleaned the carb out and it fired up. Next morning the garage smelled like gas. The tank was leaking around the seam. I took the tank off and dumped all the gas and took a soldering iron and remelted and remolded the seam. It took me a few times and double checks but it's going for two weeks of mowing. I think this is a issue and your new one will probably end up leaking too. This works well for repairing plastic gas tanks. No glue works so basically weld it up.

The gas caps fall apart too. The silver disk you see is probably off the gas cap. You could make a new cap gasket from Cork or buy a new one on EBay. I usually sell these "Project" mowers at our yard sales cheap, so I try to keep costs down.

Used tank time. I see this often on quantum powered mowers. Like bubbatime said, throw an ad on Craigslist saying you are looking for a used briggs quantum fuel tank. A local small engine guy will probably sell you one for $5 or cheaper than you could get one on ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back