Painted a mailbox for my brother's "new" house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
after 20+ years, My Brother is Moving back home from TX. He's just reached the point where he's tired of being 1100 miles from everyone,Missing our Niece and Nephew Grow up, and being basically alone most of the time(no wife, ex-Wife, girlfriends, boyfriends, or Kids. mainly goes to work and back home, no social life to speak of.)

He was up on vacation in early April to look at houses. found one, made an offer, they accepted, and he put in his 2 weeks notice this past Monday(04/18), closing is in early May. hopes to be moved in by June 1.

anyway, even though i currently own a Mercury, and he's had a run of Mustangs(Traded in a Challenger on a Mustang last Fall, this spring traded that Mustang in on a Challenger), deep down we're both Mopar Guys, and Purple has always been his Favorite Color,

I give you a Plum Crazy Mailbox, with a White Bumblebee Stripe:
IMG_20160425_161014639.jpg

IMG_20160425_161028297.jpg

IMG_20160425_161037077.jpg

Still Need to Clear Coat it, and he suggested a HEMI Badge, I'm thinking a small Mopar M at the bottom of the Bumblebee. Anyone have an other suggestion?

and yes, I did buy actual Mopar Plum Crazy touch-up spray paint. it's not just purple that I'm calling Plum Crazy.

Last edited:
I live like your brother does,really!
You could be my brother anytime my friend. Your brother is one lucky guy.
Beautiful workmanship.

Is the saw horse the mounting post for the new mailbox?

I bought the largest mail box I could find on Amazon so I can get packages from the postman and then large/bright numbers to stick on.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Is the saw horse the mounting post for the new mailbox?

I bought the largest mail box I could find on Amazon so I can get packages from the postman and then large/bright numbers to stick on.

Nah, just the easiest way to mount it for painting.
This is the largest mailbox Menard's carries, for similar reasons.

That one is/was actually my spare purchased after the current mail box (same model) was hit by snow off a plow and bent, but dad was able to get it back into shape, so that one Sat in the basement for a couple years.

This box was originally black sanded it with a scotch brite, hit the whole thing with a coat of etch primer, then a wide white stripe along the back, and down each side. Hit the side stripes with a reflective coating, let it dry overnight. In the morning, mask off the bumblebee stripe, and put number decals over the reflective white stripes. Then a coat of dark purple rustoleum, and a top coat of plum crazy. Peeled the masking off after a couple hours. Now it's "curing" until I have time off w/ weather conducive to painting to put onnlthe clear coat.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Looks great ... but his address is 2135.

Funny. F-U-N-N-Y

I made double sure before hand.

Just ordered some Mopar "m" decals form a guy on etsy. 4 decals, custom sized(30mm wide, stripe is 36mm) for $4.99. He recommended putting them on before the clear coat, but said to make the first coat of clear a "tack" coat... I have no idea what that means.....

What is a tack coat?

I believe a tack coat is just a real light coat to make it sticky, the first coat you put on when spray painting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back