Oil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Thanks for your input EDYVW
thumbsup2.gif
Its just so convenient to use the Castrol 0W40 since I can buy it at Wallyworld for $25. M1 0W40 is on sale now for $22 but I still take the Castrol. I have no issues over it and it meets the spec my car requires.

The Thing is with Wallyworld is thye change up things, last time I went there they had no castrol 0W40 anywhere and I didn't even see a sign for it. I can still get it online through wallyworld for the same price and they ship to the store close to my house for free. They just change things up allot. As I said, now they had Penzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 on the shelf which I have never seen before, but only in qts. $9.97 a qt vs. $5 per qt for the Castrol
21.gif
It is a no brainer there.

Is Penzoils Sales Gimmick of the "Pure Base" technology just that? A Gimmick? Or is it actually "Better" I use that word loosely. It reminds me of Royal Purple and their "Synerlec" additive and the smoke and mirrors around that stuff. Is "Pure Base" in that group? Smoke and Mirrors?

Jeff

It is a gimmick, all those oils we are talking about are cleaning engines good. It is splitting hairs.

Most of them have some kind of a gimmick that they blow out of proportion in an attempt to differentiate themselves. This is why Marketing exists. Remember castrol's intelligent molecules?

Not that it's necessarily a downgrade but I'm not feeling great about the new Mobil 1 formulation and will probably use Pennzoil or Castrol instead. But I noticed some differences in specs on the Pennzoil products that I find curious.

Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40
Visc. @100 = 13.3
Flashpoint = 215

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-40
Visc. @100 = 13.7
Flashpoint = 224

I'm curious as to why the 0w-40 is thicker at that temp and has a higher flashpoint. Could it be that it has a better base stock than the Euro? I wish they listed the HTHS for both. Also, anyone have the NOACK for the Ultra?
Finally, If the Ultra is a better oil it would it be wise to use it in a VW 2.0T if warranty was not a consideration?

Originally Posted By: harrydog
Visc. @100 = 13.7
Flashpoint = 224

That's the SRT version, not the Euro version, correct?

If so, it has Noack of around 13% from what I remember. As such, it could never meet all those more stringent Euro specs. They thickened it up so that it does not fall out of grade too quickly.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: harrydog
Visc. @100 = 13.7
Flashpoint = 224

That's the SRT version, not the Euro version, correct?

If so, it has Noack of around 13% from what I remember. As such, it could never meet all those more stringent Euro specs. They thickened it up so that it does not fall out of grade too quickly.
smile.gif

Right, the SRT version. Thanks for the explanation. I wonder then why they market the ultra platinum as their "best" and position it above the platinum yet the platinum in this case is a better oil, or so it seems. Confusing.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Most of them have some kind of a gimmick that they blow out of proportion in an attempt to differentiate themselves. This is why Marketing exists. Remember castrol's intelligent molecules?

Yeah, Magnatec, sticking to camshafts etc. LOL

I just had a check on the UK Mobil site.

And Mobil 1 0w40 New Life is still listed as meeting LL01..

I think they changed the oil a few years ago as it changed colour a bit about 3/4 years ago.

Is it possible that they have just removed the spec from the packaging ?

Or are there now completely different versions of Mobil 1 0w40 in Europe and USA instead of just different packaging?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back