Cabin Air Filters - how often?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: steve20
after reading this post, I think I'll inspect my original CAF 2005 Accord 199K. I knew it was there, just didn't think they need replacing that often

It will look horrible after 200k miles. You may need to vacuum the area around the CAF.

Post picture of the 200k miles filter if you can.

I finally did the cabin filter swap yesterday, with a filter from RockAuto. Warning to those of you in nasty climates like mine: Do NOT do this on a sunny afternoon in late May, with 60+ percent humidity. I was soaking wet with sweat when I finished . . . and I'm not completely finished, as I lost one of the 7mm bolts amid the muck and dead leaves at the curb. The glove box fit back into place with three bolts, though I plan to visit Ace Hardware and get some bolts for the final spot. Nothing rattles as I drive; the A/C works fine. So I guess I did it right.

i just changed my cabin air filter by myself (a 7 dollar oem one) for the camry, the cheapest one by far from s and g import auto parts and it worked well. now the air is blowing out much quicker, before, on setting 1 and 2, the air would blow but it was VERY slow, but now, setting 1 was like my old setting 3! so i needed that, but before changing it out, the dealer recommended this additional service involving cleaning the vents, maybe it was called duct cleaning? do i really need that or no, was all i needed just a cabin air filter? and i read online that only after 2000 roughly did they begin getting put in, so what did they put in cars before? did they just not have them and what's the benefit of having them if they just get clogged up and most ppl don't even know about them? it was such an easy task, i can't believe mechanics charge so much to replace them. all you needed was just a phillips screwdriver

Originally Posted By: engineer20
i just changed my cabin air filter by myself (a 7 dollar oem one) for the camry, the cheapest one by far from s and g import auto parts and it worked well. now the air is blowing out much quicker, before, on setting 1 and 2, the air would blow but it was VERY slow, but now, setting 1 was like my old setting 3! so i needed that, but before changing it out, the dealer recommended this additional service involving cleaning the vents, maybe it was called duct cleaning? do i really need that or no, was all i needed just a cabin air filter? and i read online that only after 2000 roughly did they begin getting put in, so what did they put in cars before? did they just not have them and what's the benefit of having them if they just get clogged up and most ppl don't even know about them? it was such an easy task, i can't believe mechanics charge so much to replace them. all you needed was just a phillips screwdriver

No need to clean air ducts from filter to inside cabin.

Most vehicles didn't have cabin filter until mid-late '90. Most drivers didn't change cabin filter until it totally clogged because they didn't it's there.

Many vehicles are easy to change cabin filter, only simple tools and few minutes, but garage/mechanic need to make profit and few minutes of labor isn't free.

I hate to join the peanut gallery, but that price is reasonable compared to what I've paid for replacements on the Sonata. Dealer price was around $24 and I was finally able to find the Fram equivalent at Farm & Fleet for about $15, provided I get the rebate.

Still seems outrageous considering that engine filters for the fleet top out at around $8, and they appear to have more involved in their construction.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
IMG_2105.jpg

I doubt it's the filter that "detects" external odors and switches to recirculate.

There will be an external sensor that does that.

Never knew there was one of these. Replaced my original one at 64K miles in my 2002. About 1/3 plugged with debris. Pretty dirty. But for an outside car not too bad really. But never noticed any performance degrade or odors. I'll change it again in a few years. My '99 doesn't even have one of these. That's no big deal as the car never sees any rain, dirt, leaves, pollen, etc.

i usually change every 10000 kms..seems like im wasting my money, right?

can suggest me how often normally change the filter if my car always run air conditioner everyday? in 1 year ill be run 20000-30000 kms..

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I only change mine once a year....

FDr6yDW.jpg

wow ive never seen this bad air filter condition before..
do you open your window when the air conditioner on? seems like it all was sucked to the system.

nyumski,

It looks like you live on the equator. So does this mean you do not experience seasons?

As for the cabin filter, if your owner's manual has no suggestion as to the interval, nor does the box the filter comes in have an interval listed, I may suggest 1 year/annual changes.

But, of course, if your air quality is poor. And, or if you use subpar materials(cheap paper in the filter element) you may wish to change it sooner if your car interior starts to smell bad.

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
nyumski,

It looks like you live on the equator. So does this mean you do not experience seasons?

As for the cabin filter, if your owner's manual has no suggestion as to the interval, nor does the box the filter comes in have an interval listed, I may suggest 1 year/annual changes.

But, of course, if your air quality is poor. And, or if you use subpar materials(cheap paper in the filter element) you may wish to change it sooner if your car interior starts to smell bad.

Hope this helps!

Yes im living in equator country which is here theres only 2 season..
Air quality depends on the season. In summer, the air will be low on humidity and so dry..and in rain season the humidity will increase instanly and so humid..

There is no related interval for cabin filter in manual book. So seems like 1 year will be ok

Wife's 2005 Pacifica: manual says replace every 19,000 km which is a goofy number but is close to 12,000 miles, so I guess was rounded down for us metric Canucks. The engine air filter is to be replaced every 24,000 km. Wife averages about 26,000 km a year, so they both get changed every fall.

New to us 2013 Ddoge Dart: manual recommends replacement every 3 years or 30,000 km. I bought an expensive Mopar CAF but then saw a much cheaper charcoal FRAM one in Walmart. The MOPAR one isn't even charcoal impregnated. Car had original CAF in place, and I replaced it with the FRAM. Original one wasn't that dirty, but the car only had 13,400 km on it when we bought it.

depends subaru has some obscene 7500mi/7.5mo interval

usually every 1-2years for me

The 2012 Civic was checked for the first time last week. Great condition considering the 101K on the vehicle. I have a new replacement enroute just to be safe.

Is it possible to mistake charcoal infused filter as being dirty even if it is relatively new? I want to know if I should give the dealer benefit of the doubt or not.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Is it possible to mistake charcoal infused filter as being dirty even if it is relatively new? I want to know if I should give the dealer benefit of the doubt or not.

Charcoal is black and dust is brown.

The charcoal filters have much thicker media, and usually less pleats. I suppose if you don't have experience with them, you could confuse the charcoal filters for dirty. The dirt in the filter usually isn't brown here, it's more like black or dark grey. A lot of soot maybe from the 50%+ diesels here. Maybe half of them have DPFs.

But by far the most common loading of cabin filters is seeds from trees, and small leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back