RingPlus Free Cell Phone Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in an area in Southeast Alabama that has great Sprint Coverage.

Have been retired several years and do quite a bit of travel and have have had problems in some areas with various cell phone companies.

Real problems in parts of the North/Northeast and out west and coverage can be spotty with any carrier.

In that case I have the free Google Hangouts installed on the phone and one can find Wi-Fi now at many places like McDonald's, coffee shops, motels, etc., and with Hangouts you can make a free call. There are some other apps too that can be used.

With Hangouts you can also go to the Google Voice web site and sign up for a free phone number and with Wi-Fi you can not only make calls but receive them too. + I have my Google voice number setup so it will ring my cell phone regular number too when I have coverage.

Also, with Hangouts you can send/receive a text msg, MMS. You Tube has several videos regarding Hangouts and it's usage.

I too use an Obihai 200 VOIP device with my Google Number for a home phone.

Republic wireless is another option as it makes calls first over Wi-Fi if possible and if not, then over the Sprint Network. I think but am not sure that they offer roaming over the Verizon network too?

On a recent visit to Southeastern Wisconsin had no issues with the Sprint network either.

I understand that RingPlus will offer a special for New Lines Only. (Member+ is not required for this plan (but allowed)).

Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 10:00am Pacific until 9:00PM Pacific

$0/month: 2,250 minutes, 2,250 texts, and 2,250 MB (LTE throttled to 256k). I have been using their free service now starting the 3rd month and no issues. This is on the Sprint network.

Have been using RingPlus now for another month with no issues. With the changes made by Sprint regarding what phones one can use that is an issue. There is info on their web site. If you buy a phone from RingPlus one should not have any other problems. My monthly phone bill has been 0 Dollars.

For the other phone my wife and I have it is from Republic Wireless and that runs $10.00 + tax a month.

Being retired both meet our needs quite well.

One issue with these mobile virtual network operators (MVNO) is that they either don't support short code SMS or they charge for them. Looks like RingPlus charges 3 cents per short code SMS.

Republic wireless used to not support short codes at all. I think they support some now though.

I have Cricket wireless (basically prepaid AT&T) on one of my phones, and I don't think it supports any short codes despite Cricket's claims to the contrary. Errr.

I used to have Google Project Fi, and it supported short codes just fine, but I couldn't take the Sprint/T-Mobile coverage, so I had to switch.

Tried to activate a Virgin Mobile phone on RingPlus. It didn't work and was advised to unlock the phone.

Called Virgin Mobile and they will not unlock the phone.

So be careful when you buy the device and make sure VM will unlock it before you open the box and are stuck with the phone.

Looks like starting April 17, Sprint has disallowed new unused phones from Virgin Mobile and Boost to be activated on RingPlus.

Have been using the free RingPlus cell service for yet another month. Monthly bill 0 Dollars. My wife uses Republic Wireless the $10.00 a month plan which gives unlimited talk and text - wi-fi for data only. They have other plans but that meets her needs.

I see that Wal-Mart has a new prepaid plan that gives unlimited talk and text + 5 GB of data for $35.00 a month.

Cricket is another option but for now the free/$10.00 a month plans meet our needs.

Republic wireless works fine, but annoys me.

I might dump them.

I need a phone with no data. I have an unlimited plan on a work phone I use data on.

The price of the republic phones are too much.

Ring plus has cheap phones.

You are subsidizing the cheap price with an overpriced handset.

I'm still using my RingPlus as my primary phone. I use maybe 20 texts a month and 2-3 minutes. Our primary plan is my wife's Cricket with unlimited data. That's what we use to watch Netflix and stuff. Works very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back