Any Jack Russell owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any tips for a new owner? Just took it today, girl pup, two months old. She is great! My four year old daughter is so happy
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chrisri
Any tips for a new owner? Just took it today, girl pup, two months old. She is great! My four year old daughter is so happy
smile.gif

Our JR mix was a birthday present for one of our daughters. Oh yeah that was probably the best present we ever got her.

They are terriers, so there will be some type of inbred tendency to dig and run after small animals. We have not had an issue with digging (thankfully), but we do have a fence around our backyard. I would be very careful about letting it run without a leash, unless it was properly trained (but then again, you'd probably have that with any dog). As small as it was, it got out teh front door one time, and we were only able to retrieve it when it ran up to a stranger and wanted to play. They saw we were going after it, and stopped it.

Friend of mine has had 3 of them....very active dogs. High energy. Lie was said above...it will go after small animals. A hawk came down and tried to get one of my friends dog but it saw the hawk and started barking at it.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Friend of mine has had 3 of them....very active dogs. High energy. Lie was said above...it will go after small animals. A hawk came down and tried to get one of my friends dog but it saw the hawk and started barking at it.

Pretty serious statement there. Care to point it out?

Yes we have one. JR is 8 years old, and me and him do every thing together. Very smart dogs. I'm kinda handicapped so I takes him out to the country to run. And he runs beside my pickup and reachs up to 30 km an hour. And I also get on my ten speed and he runs beside with a leash of course but he would be fine without the leash as well. He loves playing tug o war to.

Originally Posted By: paulri

I think he meant like instead of "lie". Typo.

They are high energy dogs for sure. I have a boston terrier. Terriers will go after rabbits etc.

A good dog is a tired dog, you will need to keep him exercised .

Originally Posted By: spasm3

I think he meant like instead of "lie". Typo.

Well that would explain it.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: spasm3
They are high energy dogs for sure. I have a boston terrier. Terriers will go after rabbits etc.

A good dog is a tired dog, you will need to keep him exercised .

Agreed. We have a large backyard for her to run around to her heart's content.

Look into dog parks in your area and other services like doggy day care. There will come a time when there is nobody around to watch the dog during an important event. Being able to have somebody watch them on short notice is very nice. A dog park also helps with socialization and exercise. You will run into a few folks who are militantly ignorant about dog behavior, though.

They do have a lot of energy, but some of them are mellow so it isn't guaranteed that they are super hyper. Very smart too. Fantastic dogs.

I had mine for 16 years, she was getting pretty old and a little wobbly in her back legs when going through the doggy door, couldn't jump on furniture etc. We ended up putting her down, was the right thing to do. Still miss her a lot of course.

Still have 2 of her grandsons, one is my dad's, they're almost 11 now.

Sorry K button was sticking.....meant to say LIKE was said above.....not saying anything you said was a lie....im sorry.

Sorry K button was sticking.....meant to say LIKE was said above.....not saying anything you said was a lie....im sorry.

Don't apologize, that was my misunderstanding.

Now that you said what you did, I'm glad I didn't go ballistic over that "offense."
smile.gif

Thanks guys, great and informative posts. I did a bit of research, and I know that they can be hyperactive. That is the main reason I took a girl, they tend to be more calm. I do have fence around my property (only 800 square metres but will have to do).
Any suggestions for the night time? I know they like to chew stuff.

Last edited:

Don't apologize, that was my misunderstanding.

Now that you said what you did, I'm glad I didn't go ballistic over that "offense."
smile.gif

lol cool

Thanks guys, great and informative posts. I did a bit of research, and I know that's can be hyperactive. That is the main reason I took a girl, they tend to be more calm. I do have fence around my property (only 800 square metres but will have to do).

A crate?

Thanks guys, great and informative posts. I did a bit of research, and I know that they can be hyperactive. That is the main reason I took a girl, they tend to be more calm. I do have fence around my property (only 800 square metres but will have to do).

I have found that when our dogs get plenty of attention, and are not too jealous, they don't get destructive inside the house. The only time I've had a dog chew stuff inside the house was when I got married. My black lab realized she was no longer the second highest on the totem pole any more in the house.

I REALIZE EVERY BREED MIGHT BE DIFFERENT. I would just be sure to give it a chew toy--or something to chew on, and plenty of attention. We have not had problems with our JR chewing on stuff inside teh house. Then again, there is another dog and 4 people here to give it attention.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, great and informative posts. I did a bit of research, and I know that's can be hyperactive. That is the main reason I took a girl, they tend to be more calm. I do have fence around my property (only 800 square metres but will have to do).

A crate?

That's an option sure, would love to take more "humane" approach, so to speak. Will se how it goes.

I have found that when our dogs get plenty of attention, and are not too jealous, they don't get destructive inside the house. The only time I've had a dog chew stuff inside the house was when I got married. My black lab realized she was no longer the second highest on the totem pole any more in the house.

I REALIZE EVERY BREED MIGHT BE DIFFERENT. I would just be sure to give it a chew toy--or something to chew on, and plenty of attention. We have not had problems with our JR chewing on stuff inside teh house. Then again, there is another dog and 4 people here to give it attention.

Have to say pup behaved super today. This is her first evening with us, sleeping peacefully for now. To be honest we expected little terrorist -not that I'm complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back