Delo v Rotella + Conventional v Synthetic v Blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, it's definitely a strange one. I'm surprised I never noticed it before when comparing the spec sheets of the two products, which I have done before. Up here, the Delvac 1 products are some of the only ones sensibly priced in the first place.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
Just some of the specs on those two fluids. Didn't know if it was useful
Ah...for moment you had my hopes up it contained the Ford specification.
grin.gif

Sorry sir, I was wondering about the specs for the two grades so I googled the PDF for them and that was what I found
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
Originally Posted By: Farmer
Originally Posted By: another Todd
I also e-mailed Chevron a couple weeks ago and asked what the HTHS numbers were for their various diesel oils and they refused to answer stating "We don't normally give out that information" then asked why I wanted to know. At that point I just replied never mind and I ordered the Rotella T6. I never knew HTHS numbers were secret! It certainly lost them a sale.

I was just googling that... No HTHS numbers. Mobil products gladly have those open to public.

Farmer, please let us know if you can find the HTHS of Mobil's top of the line Delvac products or get an answer via email. I'm curious myself but they don't put it out there for all products.

@ another Todd, what if you had called/emailed Shell or Mobil first, only to be let down by them, too? If you know their HTHS viscosities, please pass them along.
whistle.gif

Farmer and another Todd, sorry for my lack of tact in my post. It had been a long day.

FWIW, I have talked to reps from Shell and Delo at truck shows in the past. A couple years ago the Rotella guys told me that their Triple Protection 15W40 was 4.2 and the Delo guys said their Delo 400LE 15W40 was 4.3 (talking about HTHS viscosities).

Those are in the expected range. I'd still like to know the HTHSV's of their more recent formulations, especially the 10W30 syn blends. Would also like to see HTHSV for all of the 5W30's and 5W40's. Purely for my BITOG curiosities. So far it's been kept secret by the big three.

If you get a chance, try to get into the Mid America trucking show in Louisville, Ky. It's every year in late March. You can talk and learn about all things heavy duty, medium duty and even light duty trucks. The oil guys show up with big displays and Delo often has free seminars (and free swag for those attending). Unfortunately, I missed it this year.

2015_PSD, sorry for getting off track here.

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
2015_PSD, sorry for getting off track here.
It is all good!
11.gif

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
I prefer Delo simply because every engine I've tried it in runs very quietly compared to Rotella. I doubt there'd be any significant difference in wear, one vs. the other.

+1
smile.gif
That's why I have a stash of Delo400. It's my go-to oil to quiet things down.

Rotella T6 is my go-to oil for detergency and a swap-up to a syn if the situation calls for it.

They are both fine oils
smile.gif

Mobil finally responded; though the reply seems a little ambiguous:

From: Leblanc, Luc R [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of TSC Americas /SM
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2016 08:53
To: 2015_PSD
Subject: RE: Lubricants: Technical Question (LRL)

Hello 2015_PSD,
Terribly sorry your email slipped thru the cracks like that.

I can confirm that the products do not claim Ford’s WSS-M2C171–E specification.

Regards,
Luc LeBlanc
Americas Technical Help Desk
ExxonMobil Products Technology

ExxonMobil Business Support Centre Canada ULC
Email: [email protected]
US: 1.800.662.4525 (Fax: 1.262.313.2316)
Canada: 1.800.268.3183

Visit www.mobilindustrial.com for information on our products, services, and new product selector, Looble.

The information contained in this email may be confidential and may also contain privileged attorney-client information or work product. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this information in error, please notify us by phone immediately. Thank you.

Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 10:10 PM
To: TSC Americas /SM
Subject: Lubricants: Technical Question (LRL)

The following inquiry was sent through: ExxonMobil
Brand: ExxonMobil
First Name:
Last Name:
Position Title:
E-mail:
Company:
Address:
Phone:
Fax:
Current Customer: Yes
Question: I have a 2015 Ford F-250 with a 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel. I am considering trying Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 and Delvac Super 1300 15W-40. However, upon review, I do not see the Ford WSS-M2C171–E specification listed on the bottle nor in the PDS for either oil:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAXXENCVLMOMobil_Delvac_1_ESP_5W-40.aspx

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAXXENCVLMOMobil_Delvac_1300_Super.aspx

Can you advise on whether or not these two oils meet the Ford specification?

Many thanks!

--
2015_PSD

Use whatever oil brings you joy. :eek:)
If you are one to ignore oil change intervals or properly maintain your vehicle MAYBE a synthetic would be better. Not in wear but may resist sludge more.
If your one to change when you are supposed to, then conventional is fine and just as good if not better when it comes to wear.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Use whatever oil brings you joy. :eek:)
If you are one to ignore oil change intervals or properly maintain your vehicle MAYBE a synthetic would be better. Not in wear but may resist sludge more.
If your one to change when you are supposed to, then conventional is fine and just as good if not better when it comes to wear.
If one chooses to ignore maintenance on a modern diesel, then one's pockets better be very deep.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back