07 Toyota FJ throw-out Bearing. Better ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
My dad bought a certified used 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser, 6 speed manual, in May of 2012 with 60k miles. Has 108k now.

Shortly after he bought it, it started squeaking in neutral, but when you push in the clutch it stops squeaking. He knew it was the throw-out bearing. Dealership replaced it under warranty with the shift fork (I think that's what they called it, been a while).

It's squeaking again and the clutch will need to be replaced while the throw-out bearing is being replaced.

Is there a know better part? Obviously the Toyota ones aren't up to the task. It's a very very common problem on the FJ Cruisers and Tacomas. Also, anybody recommend a good clutch kit? He's thinking of getting a heavier duty clutch since he might do some performance mods.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't the throwout bearing activate when the clutch is depressed (at least that's what I've always thought) making the input shaft bearing the noisy one when the clutch is let up? I may have this totally backward though.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Is there a know better part? Obviously the Toyota ones aren't up to the task. It's a very very common problem on the FJ Cruisers and Tacomas. Also, anybody recommend a good clutch kit? He's thinking of getting a heavier duty clutch since he might do some performance mods.

See if Centerforce offers a Series II for his application. If they do get all the parts from them, clutch, PP, and TOB. You won't regret it!

The Series II is for HD applications which would include towing and off road driving.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

See if Centerforce offers a Series II for his application. If they do get all the parts from them, clutch, PP, and TOB. You won't regret it!

The Series II is for HD applications which would include towing and off road driving.
This! The last few clutches that I have purchased have been Centerforce. I was very happy with them.

Originally Posted By: expat
Does your father ride the clutch? Keep the clutch depressed while at a stop light?
The only thing I've noticed with his manual transmission driving is he lugs it around a lot, he's a pretty calm driver, although a little clutch slippage is necessary when off-roading, which this thing sees a ton of. He coasts in neutral all the time down hills and sits at lights usually in neutral.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Doesn't the throwout bearing activate when the clutch is depressed (at least that's what I've always thought) making the input shaft bearing the noisy one when the clutch is let up? I may have this totally backward though.

When the clutch is engaged, the throwout bearing doesn't turn.....it's only when the clutch pedal is pushed that the throwout bearing does its job.

Which brings up the thought: does your Dad sit at stop lights, in gear, with the clutch depressed? If so, it's his habits that are helping the bearing along.

Not 100% sure about what quality replacements are out there....but if it's a common problem there should be a HUGE aftermarket availability.... including THIS:

http://urdusa.com/store/p1260519022/Throwout-Bearing-UPGRADE/REPAIR-KIT,-FJ-Cruiser,-2005+-Tundra/product_info.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

This! The last few clutches that I have purchased have been Centerforce. I was very happy with them.

thumbsup2.gif
For the money you can't beat them!

Originally Posted By: Kuato

When the clutch is engaged, the throwout bearing doesn't turn.....it's only when the clutch pedal is pushed that the throwout bearing does its job.

Which brings up the thought: does your Dad sit at stop lights, in gear, with the clutch depressed? If so, it's his habits that are helping the bearing along.

Not 100% sure about what quality replacements are out there....but if it's a common problem there should be a HUGE aftermarket availability.... including THIS:

http://urdusa.com/store/p1260519022/Throwout-Bearing-UPGRADE/REPAIR-KIT,-FJ-Cruiser,-2005+-Tundra/product_info.html
Just to be clear, it's easier on the throw out bearing to sit at a light in gear holding the clutch?

I'd say he's 50/50 with it. If it's a somewhat short light he holds it. Otherwise it sits in neutral.

Keeping the clutch depressed has the throwout bearing engaged and spinning,therefore putting unnecessary wear on it. Best to throw it in neutral and keep foot off the clutch pedal until you're ready to shift into first and proceed.

Keeping the clutch depressed has the throwout bearing engaged and spinning,therefore putting unnecessary wear on it. Best to throw it in neutral and keep fopot off the clutch pedal until you're ready to shift into first and proceed.

+ 1000

Some subaru's, like the 2005-2009 legacies have the same problem. I forget the exact theory, but some people say a clutch fork return spring should help fix the problem, at least on our MT legacies.

My Camry got a new clutch @ 98k miles....the THIRD.....the 2nd one was replaced by the dealer (prior to selling this trade-in) because of a botched job the 1st time....I'm @ 138k miles now and still going strong...with fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back