Buying a Toyota Matrix ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am need of a small hatchback and the Toyota Matrix seems like it fits my need. What are the best years and what do I need to look out for ? - Thanks

When in Ghana last year we used a Taxi driver a few times that had a Toyota Matrix.

It was the earlier model and seemed to be dealing with its workload rather well, when you import a car it get a Reg number that shows the year it was first registered in Ghana and this car had been registered in 2012 so had done three years of work at the time.

That may not seem a long time but Taxis there have a hard life sometimes being in the road up to 14/15 hours a day and sometimes double shifted so on the road 24/7.

I have never been on the later shape but in my limited experience the older one is solid and comfortable.

The matrix is just a hatchback corolla. As far as the best, the 2008 would be the best for the first generation, all of the bugs are worked out. Might consider the vibe as it is likely cheaper.

I have owned both a 2004 Matrix XRS and a 2005 Pontiac Vibe. Both are excellent cars and will last you a long time. BUT these cars now are getting pretty old and may have ALLOT of miles on them. Toyota or not high mileage cars may require repairs.

have you thought about just trying to purchase a new one? The SCION IM soon to be called the Corolla Hatchback (it is in Europe already) can be had fully loaded for $18K brand new? Something to consider.

Jeff

I thought the early 5MT's had an issue with the input shaft bearing? Otherwise I too would avoid the 2.4's due to the potential headbolt issue.

Avoid the 2009 Matrix/Vibe and the early 2010's a lot of bugs were worked out after that.
If your looking at those years make sure all 6 recalls are done and that the steering wheel doesn't knock at slow speeds and when parked start it up and turn the wheel in small increments and pay close attention. Intermediate shaft may need to be replaced. Also start it cold to make sure the vvti actuator doesn't need to be replaced. Check out vibe and Matrix forums for more. I speak from experience in my surrounding family we have a 2009 vibe, 2010 matrix, and 2012 matrix all 1.8.

My Daughter has a first gen 2005 model. It only has 100,000 km on it now but all I have ever done is change the fluids on it. It seems to like 5W20 in the winter instead of the recommended 5W30. It is a made in Canada model XR.

Like said, 2008 would probably be the sweet spot, but the drive, fit, feel is better on the second gens IMO (2009+).

My mom had a 2008 Pontiac Vibe from 2007-2015 and put ~80K trouble free miles on it. Not a pleasant vehicle to drive or be in, but simple, economical, reliable and easy for DIY maintenance.

The standard Vibe version like we had doesn't have ABS, TPMS, etc.

I have a 2006 Matrix.
It's been trouble free except original tires were [censored] and only lasted 25K miles.
IMHO the '05-'08 (Vibe or Matrix) are the best choices.
'03-'04 had trouble prone manual trans.
Some '09+ second generation had the trouble prone and thirsty 2.4l engine.
Plus the '09+ have less interior room and features.

If you can find an 03-05 Xrs in decent shape, you won't be disappointed. Lots of space to haul things and a fun car.

I know the base/XR 5 speed had some transmission issues, but the 6 speed is pretty much bullet proof. If you're looking for an AT, then may as well find the newest model year you can find.

We bought a used 07 Matrix M Theory (limited appearance package) for my wife after we got married. When our growing family out grew the little Matrix and we had to trade it in, we both mourned the loss of that little car for a year. We didn't have it long but had no problems with it.

We have a 08 base model matrix with automatic trans and front wheel drive.

My wife loves the little car. Pretty simple and cheap to service and it hauls items from the store for her, and to and from work.

Ours has 80k and does not use a drop of oil, I have been feeding it synpower 5w20 for the past year.

The automatic trans says it is filled for life, but we had the fluid changed out and it is bright red still and looks great.

MPG is always around 30 for us, never more.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JustinH

The automatic trans says it is filled for life, but we had the fluid changed out and it is bright red still and looks great.

On our 2008 Pontiac Vibe, there was a drain plug on the transmission pan. AT drain/fills were easier than an engine oil change. I did a D/F with Maxlife ATF at ~36K miles and 60K miles on my Mom's Vibe. Same as you describe though, the factory AFT was definitely darker than Maxlife, but it surely didn't look like oil engine oil like some ATs I've drained/filled.

I was dead set on a matrix a year ago..test drove a few..then test drove the Honda Fit.. I now own a 2012 Honda Fit Sport.

Test drive a Honda Fit before you pull the trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back