Trust filter minder or ODB2 output?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ducked
Dunno. The paper on the Ford Focus lifetime filter says:-

"The efficiency drop off at higher face velocities may be
attributed to particle bounce and re-entrainment."

which suggests that, with this foam filter at least, particles can get pulled through.

I suppose to make it all the way through a filter that'd probably have to happen more than once, though.

Sounds more to me like they are referring to particles bouncing off of the face of the filter at high velocity, and then re-depositing back into the filter media.

Well, my speculation was that it MIGHT not necessarily have to be very (or visibly) dirty for dirt to work its way through. I've no data for this, but its the only justification I can think of for mileage/time limits, where restriction measurements are available.

Well, yes, that is hard to say. Note that my G37 only has a mileage limit, of 24000 km, with a notification that time is irrelevant. As for new vehicles, I can't think of any with a restriction gauge, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It may in heavy trucks.

Filter boxes are much better than the setups we used to see. That's why I'm not terribly worried about the longer filter change intervals we see. When we had the taxis with completely exposed round filters, or agricultural equipment that gets wickedly dirty fast no matter what, those are different matters, of course.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Dunno. The paper on the Ford Focus lifetime filter says:-

"The efficiency drop off at higher face velocities may be
attributed to particle bounce and re-entrainment."

which suggests that, with this foam filter at least, particles can get pulled through.

I suppose to make it all the way through a filter that'd probably have to happen more than once, though.

Sounds more to me like they are referring to particles bouncing off of the face of the filter at high velocity, and then re-depositing back into the filter media.

If it re-deposited back into the media the filtration efficiency wouldn't change.

Originally Posted By: Garak
As for new vehicles, I can't think of any with a restriction gauge, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

My 2008 Cadillac Escalade has the same Filter Minder as my 2006 Dodge Ram Cummins diesel, surprised the heck out of me when I popped the hood for the first time. The Escalade owners manual says there is no time or mileage limit for AF changes, just follow the Filter Minder. I agree though, they do look like cheap carnival toys and it bothers me to trust a very expensive engine to this plastic contraption.

I had close to 50,000 km on my Dodge using the upgraded 4" deep Mopar/Wix AF before the Filter Minder started to draw down.

That is definitely cool. I could see a Cummins having it, but the Cadillac is a pleasant surprise. I suppose one could always use some mileage interval if they didn't trust the restriction gauge; a lot of OEM intervals are pretty darned short. I just changed the filters in the G37, after 24,000 km. Upstream was nice and clean, and the filters were in pretty good shape. You could tell they were used, but they certainly didn't look like they were at the end of their lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back