Any GTX users?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SR5
hpb said:
Dead on, it's an Astra (AH) and the owners manual says 15,000km. I would do that (and maybe a little more) with a good synthetic, but with a mineral I think I will stick to 10,000km.

Yeah, if the LPG version of your Falcon can run 15W-40 in pretty much the same engine, it should work fine for petrol. Congratulations on the new car.

Poor old AU. I remember when the AU Falcons first came out. I really liked the Falcon S with the in-line 6 donk, IRS rear end, 5 speed manual, and small rear spoiler.

10,000km is a nice easy number to stick with, and I think today's mineral oils are more than capable of that, especially in a moderately powered family daily driver.

I remember when the AU's first came out too... I was working as a mechanic at a Ford dealer in Perth WA, and we all thought they were a hideous looking thing! Time has proven the design was right though, I still think they look modern today, even at 18 years old. I paid $150 for mine a couple of years back, and I can't kill it! I really splashed out on the BF, a massive $650 for a repairable write-off, cosmetic damage only. It's at the panel shop now for some minor work, all up it'll owe me less than $2k on the road, a nice cheap carpark combatant.

A buddy got 260,000 miles on a Honda Accord back in the 80's running strictly GTX 20W-50. Was running fine and no smoke until it went bye bye after an accident in the snow.

Haven't used GTX for more than 30 years. I remember as a kid dad used to buy it, with the "Liquid Tungsten". If I scratch around under mums house I'm sure I will find a bottle of it with some sump oil in it. I remember GTX and Mobil as the 2 big brands of oil back then. According to the sticker on the windscreen the VT was running GTX. If it wasn't run longer than it should I wasn't impressed with the look of it, varnished up and looking manky. But the Ultra is doing a good job at cleaning it up.

Still run it in the Harley
smile.gif

I've used it on and off in every car I've owned over the years...it's the 'house oil' for most shops and quick lubes up here.

The new quick-lube in my CT store features GTX, and we are offering $19.99 changes using this. The new Soul might just one of these in the next couple of weeks instead of me figuring out how to schedule an OC at a friends house...

Lots of rotary engines still love it as does the bulk of my automotive inclined family. I always have to talk myself out it actually.

I used to use either the 10w-40 or the 20w-50 varieties in my old (Fox body) '84 LTD... it had a nasty lifter tick that even 20w-50 plus STP wouldn't quiet down.

Recently I bought about 6 quarts of the 5w-30 HM variety it when it was on sale at DG for $2 and change per quart. Used it as my 6th quart on the last OCI in the Mountaineer.

I've used it off and on over the years, no problem. In today's world, the difference between oils of the same ilk, ie. GTX, PYB, QSAD, Mobil 5000, Havoline, Kendall, or even RK, or ST, all oils are pretty good, if not stellar. Same with syns, take your pick, best price, prettiest bottle, whatever, just go with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back