Air pressure question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always wondered about something. If you run your tires' air pressure a few pounds lower than what's recommended,are there any harmful effects? I've tried this a few times (maybe 5 pounds below) and the things I've noticed are the ride is much smoother,quieter,and have noticed no adverse effects at all. Would running them slightly softer like that be easier on the suspension (I read that on a car forum one time)?

You will wear out the outside edges of the tires. Ideally, for the perfect pressure, you can take paint your tire with chalk and drive on a smooth surface to see the chalk pattern (or the other way around). You want the pressure that gives the same chalk transfer. But then consider the temperature of the tires too.

There are several lbs difference when the ambient temperature varies by 10 to 15ºF. And altitude. As you go up, the pressure also increases.

Had to run 47-49 & 51 from 35 on the lexus to keep it from chewing off the sides. I run max pressure in the beretta for fuel milage. Run most cars higher than lower usually, sometimes ill run 5-10 psi on the jeep, but thats a different story.

Decreased fuel economy, increased tire wear, and it isn't as safe. The tire could overheat on the highway and blow out.

I always run pressure higher than recommended.

Unsafe. Its better to run higher than lower. I will tell this story:

In the police academy, they had two identical Crown Vic police cars for us to drive through the high speed vehicle obstacle course. One car had tires inflated to 45 PSI, the other cars tires were inflated to 30 PSI. The car with 45 PSI drove 200% better. It was much smoother, much faster, much safer, more responsive, etc. It drove like a sports car, while the car with the lower PSI drove like a 67 Lincoln. It was an eye opening experience how two identical cars, drive completely differently with just a 15 PSI tire pressure difference. Honestly, from what I saw that day, I am 100% convinced that higher pressure tires handle much better, and could, in some instances, give you the performance needed to avoid a collision.

Different tires respond differently to PSI...I had one set of UHP/A-S tires that wore evenly @ 44psi, vs the current UT/A-S set that is wearing evenly @ 32psi on the same car.

Last edited:
Never understand running too much pressure.. I ran 35 psi and the car bounced heavily on potholes.. I wouldnt run too high or too low.Too high wont be good for traction either. Im running 31-32 now and its perfect. LOWEST i'd go is whats on the door jamb. (30 psi in my case)

I can't stand running my tires at full pressure,plus they wear out in the middle but leave tons of tread on the outsides. I run about 40psi in my ford and 24 in my Jeep. Any more and they ride terrible and wander on the hwy.

My Ford still wears them in the middle @ 40 .they are rated @80.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I can't stand running my tires at full pressure,plus they wear out in the middle but leave tons of tread on the outsides. I run about 40psi in my ford and 24 in my Jeep. Any more and they ride terrible and wander on the hwy.

My Ford still wears them in the middle @ 40 .they are rated @80.

Chris, you don't inflate your tires according to the maximum pressure listed on the sidewall. If you are running a stock size tire, look on your door jamb or owners manual for the recommended pressure. Your Ford at 40 psi is wearing out the middle of the tire because it is way over inflated. I doubt there are any vehicles that recommend 40 psi. Go let some air out of those things.

if your tires are not smooth or quiet, then consider are your tires not very good? and maybe different tires would be quiet and smooth at the proper PSI and perform better.

You should at least post what tires you have on, the dimensions and how old they are.

Last edited:
Pickups are the worst for middle wear on the rear tires and outer wear on the front tires. They are not driven fully loaded all the time and the rear is so light you would have to deflate to half the tires max PSI to get an even contact patch on the tires. I got Bridgestone Alenza's on my 02 Silverado and been rotating them every 5,000mi and I still get more center treadwear than the outer edge. P-metric all four inflated to 35psi. On rainy days I will deflate the rear tires to 26-29 psi depending on the locale.

Last edited:
I run 4psi less than max on everything. 2 suvs a sportbike a pickup truck and a car. I would not like less than doorjamb. When a valvoline place lowered my tp after doing a brake flush for me as a "10 pt courtesy inspection" it felt like I was driving on jello. I took it back and made them pump them back up. They said it would wear out the center. Lol they know not how I drive the corners...

I run 80 in the rear and 65 in front. Tires wear evenly across tred. Rears are currently 1/32 less than fronts. Will rotate at 5K or so. 3500 SRW Ram 4x4 towing 10,000lbs.

Unless you run them on low PSI long term the only thing you should be worrying about is over heating. Taking a 750 mile road trip on low probably isn't going to eat your outer edges, but it probably would overheat and cause a tire blowout or tread separation.

I usually stick with what's on the door jam, maybe 1-2 PSI above if it's one of the cars I don't have time to check often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back