How Much Olive Oil Do You Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the years I’ve normally bought a Kroger-brand blended extra-virgin o.o. that sells for about $7 in a 25 ounce bottle and probably used 2 or 3 a year. Recently Kroger had an event featuring foods from Spain and the main attraction seemed to be one-Liter bottles of “Alonia” evoo selling for $10 each. What struck me as odd is that the 2 stores near me (both serving towns with about 5,000 souls each) had each stocked at least 60 cases of the oil (720 bottles...yes I counted them). I thought that’s quite a lot considering that this area is a blend of typical Midwestern farm folk and commuting suburbanites who eat half of their meals outside the home anyway. Indeed, now that the event has ended one of the stores has dropped the price to $5 a bottle while the other hasn’t (yet) and still has 40 cases to sell.

So now I’m wondering...how much olive oil do you use? And yes, I did buy one bottle at $10 but haven’t tried it yet. Wondering if I should get another at $5 before it’s gone. Anyone here used “Alonia”?

About 1-2 liters per month. Wife's friend is an officer merchant marine and brings it as gift direct from Crete for my wife tending his small garden in his abscenses.

Family of 4, probably 1.5-2L per annum.

Coconut, about 2lb
Butter, about 10lb
Lard/dripping/bacon grease, about half pound

if daughter is baking, then add to the above depending on recipe

It depends upon the time of the year. I probably use a couple of 17 ounce bottles each month. I also make my own salad dressings and marinades, most of which contain extra virgin olive oil.

I usually use Nuñez de Prado when I want a somewhat brighter flavor and Academia Barilla when I want something a bit more balanced.

Since olive oil ages and can start to deteriorate once opened, I don't purchase more than we can use in a month or so.

Hello, I just have to guess that I (..as in "I do all the cooking") go through a 3l bottle in about a year.

I recommend transferring the opened oil into smaller bottles and keeping them in the fridge.
Food handling 101, as it were.

2-3L a year. If I keep cooking these Spanish fried eggs that will probably go up a bit.

Last edited:
Put the bottle in the fridge, if it solidifies its not EVOO. let us know if its real or not..i might pick up a couple of bottles for $5 for lamp oil.

Last statistic i read was 69 percent of EVOO is fake/fraud.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Doesn't the mob control olive oil meaning that a lot of it is actually a synthetic blend?
Yeah, 5W 40 HM.

Last edited:
I use Texas Rattlesnake EVOO. A bottle gets me through about 3 months.

Everyone in this thread should know that 9/10 olive oil brands are fake. Other oils with flavor added and whatever.

Sounds like a joke, but the "mafia" in Italy and other places can fairly legally make money by exporting [censored] oil and selling it as expensive designer oil with a nice label.

You can find California Olive Ranch almost anywhere, that's real stuff. It's pretty good but not super amazing.

http://www.foodrenegade.com/how-tell-if-your-olive-oil-fake/ read this before you buy any more

Quote:
This study reported that the following brands failed to meet extra virgin olive oil standards: Bertolli, Carapelli, Colavita, Filippo, Berio, Mazzola, Mezzetta, Newman's Own, Safeway, Star, Whole Foods.

Note those aren't the only brands, odds are anything you find in your store other than COR is fake. There are several other good brands but I can't really list anything else, COR is the only thing I've found nationally. Do some research. Look for a harvest date. Anything with words clearly meant to entice you like the aforementioned brands probably have on the label, is probably [censored].

edit: http://lifehacker.com/the-most-and-least-fake-extra-virgin-olive-oil-brands-1460894373 also helpful

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Family of 4, probably 1.5-2L per annum.

Coconut, about 2lb
Butter, about 10lb
Lard/dripping/bacon grease, about half pound

if daughter is baking, then add to the above depending on recipe

It is coconut oil mainly in coffee for me.

A litre per month, mostly for salads and fish. Never use olive oil for frying. Oh and real extra vergine will thicken in refrigerator.

Don't know where in OH you are, but the local Krogier locations also stocked in huge amounts of this Spanish olive oil during the Taste of Spain promo.
This product will inevitably get clearanced pretty cheaply.
We use probably 5-6 liters of olive oil each year.
I have probably about that quantity stashed.

I had never heard of all the fake EVOO. I've been buying the Daily Chef(Sams Club) organic EVOO. Looking at the bottle, it has all the red flags of fake oil.

All the above is true, but on the flipside perhaps you really don't want an evoo. Just like if we had real unpasteurized milk or real orange juice or real coffee or real honey it'd be too strong and be weird or disgusting to you like the article says.

So yes know the industry. But after you know it still is ok that you like the cheaper stuff labelled evoo that's not real.

Last edited:
How much olive oil do I use? Lots. On salads (nightly), cooking: meats, fish, poultry. Sauces. Once you get into the habit of using it, you'll find stuff to add it to, and never go back to whatever you've been doing. And, it's really healthy.

The thing about olive oils is that they're all not the same. The best are Extra Virgin, and surprisingly, come from California. Next is Spain, as they're the world's largest producer. Stay away from blends, and sadly the mass market Italians, as they're merely "Bottled in Italy" but contain cheaper and lower quality oils from Tunisia, Morocco and the rest of North Africa. Always look for "Produce of Italy", preferably unfiltered...not "Product of Italy"..there's a legal semantic difference there that's revealing: A blend of oils from anywhere is a "Product", whereas "Produce" means grown in the ground. You will always pay more for this, but it's worth it. Conversely, a mass market Italian oil is not worth whatever you pay, better to spend the same to get Cali or Spanish.

If you get small bottles of each and taste them separately, you can begin to tell the difference. They should be peppery and pungent and "Fresh" tasting...the Californian's really show that last quality best.

Lastly, remember olive oil (from anywhere) is food, and is subject to deterioration over time. So, although it's tempting to buy a case, unless you plan on using it a lot, better to buy one more expensive bottle than a whole case, by the time you get thru bottle 2 it has deteriorated and the taste really changes for the worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back