Hot Sauce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
Tapatío is a basic hot sauce you can find just about anywhere that is pretty good. It is more or less an American made version of Valentina sauce.

I bought a bottle and like it. Water base instead of vinegar lets the flavor through.

I got a bottle of El Yucateco Black Label Reserve...
http://www.elyucateco.com/products/salsas-picantes/salsa-etiqueta-negra
(website text is misspelled as "Reverse"...see the bottle)

I really like it. It's not an all purpose hot sauce, but it has a nice habanero and smoke flavor.

sauce_image_2.png

Hot sauce is like wine or beer or whiskey.
Different flavor profiles work with different foods accentuating the flavors.after a while you start craving specific brands on certain foods.

Originally Posted By: urrlord
Hot sauce is like wine or beer or whiskey.
Different flavor profiles work with different foods accentuating the flavors.after a while you start craving specific brands on certain foods.

Absolutely. I really enjoy Tabasco brand chipotle sauce on a lot of food. Louisiana brand habanero sauce is my go-to for adding simple heat.

I guess the problem is that, with so many brands, how does one choose?

I had some tasty hot sauce today. So good I picked up a bottle. Iguana Radioactive Atomic Pepper Sauce. Great flavor and enough heat to let you know you're doing something.

Found that the local supermarket(Publix) sell Iguana sauce. Grabbed one of the Mean Green Jalapeno Pepper Sauce and it didn't taste like much at all. Guess I can see why it was on clearance. Going to grab a XXX Habanero and see how it tastes. Supposedly it's not as hot as the Radioactive. The Radioactive is just a tad too hot to go with it's great taste. I am a little out of practice on eating hot sauce. The hottest things I've ate in years are Crystal's and Huy Fong Sriracha.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Trappey's Red Devil Cayenne Pepper Sauce. Its not as hot as tabasco but the flavor in outstanding.

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
I can't believe no one has mentioned Trappey's Red Devil Cayenne Pepper Sauce. Its not as hot as tabasco but the flavor in outstanding.

I have 5 different brands open at the moment. Trappey's Red Devil is one. All are good.

I think I've had my fill of most of the Ghost pepper, million Scoville unit-type sauces and have gone back to the Crystal, Trappey's, Louisiana brand, etc. hot sauces. These sauces are a lot more utilitarian while at the same time not perforating my esophagus.

I use Melinda's Naga Jolokia Hot Sauce a mild ghost pepper with good flavor like that with curry, chili and stew. What I do is a let it heat slow boil a bit in cooking to mellow the bite so the Melinda's gives a lingering internal heat what I crave. You can't do that with a low heat hot sauce are you adding the sauce after it's cooked or before? Flavor stays put but heat lingers. Need to know how to use the hot sauces how much to add take the bite out you want the lingering slow heat.

For stir fry Thai Chili Peppers pluck fresh don't need much will fume in heat when cooked. Just the right bite and heat with good flavor.

Ashanti Louisiana Hot Sauce - I think i picked this up at Kroger in the cajun section. May also be at walmart not sure.

This is my go to hot sauce for eggs, burritos and jambalaya. It is very mild and very flavorful.

I think it was under $2 and its worth a try unless u have to feel the burn or heat from your hot sauce.

My go to for almost everything is Hoy Fung Sambal Oelek (chili paste). Soups, salads, sandwiches, eggs, pizza.

I brought a jar to work, now I have 10+ people hooked that bring their own to cafeteria daily.

Same company as Siraracha, includes the seeds, more flavor. I tried the garlic version which was good but not as universal. Stop&shop carries it, wife got some large jars at Walmart last week.

i use hot sauce on most everything ,usually Sriracha
but ill try most anything at least once...

The other day I was at Firehouse subs and they had a bottle
graded a 10 (hottest) for me to try 357000 scovill units

Talk about hot,one drop of this stuff burned my mouth for a
good 5 mins,so being an idiot I had to try more....
smile.gif

WOW

Originally Posted By: hatt
Found that the local supermarket(Publix) sell Iguana sauce. Grabbed one of the Mean Green Jalapeno Pepper Sauce and it didn't taste like much at all. Guess I can see why it was on clearance. Going to grab a XXX Habanero and see how it tastes. Supposedly it's not as hot as the Radioactive. The Radioactive is just a tad too hot to go with it's great taste. I am a little out of practice on eating hot sauce. The hottest things I've ate in years are Crystal's and Huy Fong Sriracha.
My mouth must have just been in shock from years of not eating really hot sauce that first time I had Radioactive. I've been mowing it down lately and it doesn't seem crazy hot anymore. Had to buy another bottle.

I enjoy both well spiced (like Indian food) and spicy foods. But go too hot and it takes away from the other favors.

I have a friend who slathers the hot sauce on. But it is admittedly because he doesn't like his wife's cooking.

I like heat in a variety of things, but covering up flavor is not my thing. Heat should enhance or jive with the other flavors, not cover them. I can handle decently hot sauces, but can't say I really enjoy them beyond a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back