VW to pay each U.S. customer $5,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

You didn't drive the 1982 Supra, picture below. It was the best sport coupe of the early '80, there wasn't any car with sticker below $20k came close.

1982_Toyota_Supra_resize.jpg

I loved that car back in the day...Oz got it with the Cresida running gear, which made it about as sporty as a bowling green.

UK got the twin cam 4 valve, and some serious poke.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
It's still funny to me that you blame VW for buying a beat-down lemon Beetle. Your problems were an awesome mixture of neglected German car and bone headed purchasing practices.

I've never driven a Toyota that I want to own, save for the Land Cruiser I drive for work.

There are some of us that prioritize things other than the lowest possible running costs and reliability. For us, Toyota is almost never the answer. The two exceptions are the Land Cruiser and the GT86 - the only two Toyotas capable of being anything but boring.

You didn't drive the 1982 Supra, picture below. It was the best sport coupe of the early '80, there wasn't any car with sticker below $20k came close.

Very sharp car. A local junkyard has a black 1990ish Supra with the "sunshine" rims. Doesnt look to have a thing wrong with it aside from some what id consider light front driver side damage.

I am a sucker for many late 80's/ early 90's cars though.

Audi/ VW included.

It's still funny to me that you blame VW for buying a beat-down lemon Beetle. Your problems were an awesome mixture of neglected German car and bone headed purchasing practices.

I've never driven a Toyota that I want to own, save for the Land Cruiser I drive for work.

There are some of us that prioritize things other than the lowest possible running costs and reliability. For us, Toyota is almost never the answer. The two exceptions are the Land Cruiser and the GT86 - the only two Toyotas capable of being anything but boring.

Should have clarified the statement as "I've ever driven a modern Toyota that I'd want to own." I had a friend with a 70-something Celica in high school. My pocket rocket at the time was an '84 200SX Turbo. Followed that with an '82 280ZX Turbo.

Love the Supras. Love the old Celicas. Love the MR2s. Love the old pickups. Love love love the Cressida.

It always baffled me that a company that used to make the best cars no matter what you wanted now only make the best cars if you want a cheap, boring, basic commuter.

The GT86, again, is a nice car. A little underpowered, but fun. The Land Cruiser is awesome, but you can only buy the $80k model in the US, and it has a VERY cheap interior for that price bracket.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
We get it. If you want to buy a vintage late 90s used car with tons of miles, buy a Toyota.

I'm also talking about newer VWs too. I'm taking in the 2013 VW Beetle TDI to the dealer next week with a list of 6 things for them to fix. It's sucked too.

What issues? If you don't kind me asking.

I'm assuming the Beetle qualifies for the $5k/buyback. What are your hopes/plans?
It's my aunt's car (who I live with).

Previously it's been in the dealer for the power windows jamming up, they had to remove both door panels and tighten and adjust the window regulators.

Dealer had to reprogram something with the keys, they found a fault in the system on their own

A/C would quit working, took 3 or 4 trips to the dealer for them to get it right. Took them emptying and refilling the A/C system multiple times, that didn't work. Then they replaced the Hood Control Module under the dash. That didn't work. Then they replaced the compressor. That worked! It's been over a year and it stopped working for a minute the other day. We'll see if it keeps working

Center console was replaced under warranty for rattling, had a defective latch

Next week it's going to the dealer for:
1. Front suspension squeaking, sounds like a strut mount
2. Steering column groaning, probably either the steering column or the rack and pinion
3. Average MPG on the computer keeps resetting itself. Won't keep a cumulative record of MPG no matter what.
4. There's a stopwatch on the dash that is crooked, it points in the wrong direction now. Probably needs the whole thing replaced
5. Pinging noise under the hood. Sounds like morse code, like someone is hitting two drumsticks together under there, pretty loud.
6. Computer tells us that the car needs service every 5k miles. Have to take it to the dealer for them to reset it constantly. Even they've said it's supposed to be every 10k miles.

When they do the buyback, she's planning on having them go ahead and buy it back, she'll then go buy something else. When they couldn't fix the A/C, we were looking into lemon law lawyers. Can't have a car with no A/C in Phoenix.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
We get it. If you want to buy a vintage late 90s used car with tons of miles, buy a Toyota.

What about if you just want to buy an older well-depreciated vehicle?

Should have clarified the statement as "I've ever driven a modern Toyota that I'd want to own." I had a friend with a 70-something Celica in high school. My pocket rocket at the time was an '84 200SX Turbo. Followed that with an '82 280ZX Turbo.

Love the Supras. Love the old Celicas. Love the MR2s. Love the old pickups. Love love love the Cressida.

It always baffled me that a company that used to make the best cars no matter what you wanted now only make the best cars if you want a cheap, boring, basic commuter.

The GT86, again, is a nice car. A little underpowered, but fun. The Land Cruiser is awesome, but you can only buy the $80k model in the US, and it has a VERY cheap interior for that price bracket.

I just like to make sure that we don't misunderstood one another.

Up until late 70's nobody took Japanese manufactures seriously, American and especially German manufactures dismiss Japanese automakers as cheap transportation makers. Then Toyota engineered/produced Celica in late '70 then Supra (derived from Celica) in early 80's after Nissan 240Z(Datsun). Only then the world started to pay attention to Far East car manufactures.

I owned 1982 Supra with Red on Black color as in that picture for 3-4 years, I sold it because of moving, I regretted ever since. This was the first of many new cars I bought without a test drive.

More than fair... IMO

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2...iesel-customers

VW Will Buy Back Some Diesel Cars, Announcing A Deal With U.S.

April 21, 201611:17 AM ET
BILL CHAPPELL
Twitter
Former FBI Director Robert Mueller, right, arrives for a court hearing in San Francisco Thursday. Mueller has been overseeing talks about a settlement between Volkswagen, the U.S. government, and the car company's customers.
Former FBI Director Robert Mueller, right, arrives for a court hearing in San Francisco Thursday. Mueller has been overseeing talks about a settlement between Volkswagen, the U.S. government, and the car company's customers.
Jeff Chiu/AP
A buyback of emissions-cheating cars was one solution Volkswagen offered in federal court Thursday, outlining an agreement between the carmaker and the Justice Department over hundreds of thousands of diesel vehicles that were sold in the U.S. despite not meeting pollution standards.

Car owners would be able to choose between having their vehicle fixed or accepting a buyback; financial details weren't revealed about the plan, which both the government and VW are calling an "agreement in principle."

After VW's plan was announced in San Francisco this morning, Justice Department spokesman Wyn Hornbuckle said:

"This agreement in principle addresses one important aspect of the department's pending case against VW, namely what to do about the 2-liter diesel cars on the road and the environmental consequences resulting from their excess emissions. The department's other investigations into VW's conduct remain active and ongoing."
While the deal's terms weren't discussed in the hearing, Senior District Judge Charles R. Breyer did say consumers deserve "substantial compensation." And the details that emerged bolster a report from Reuters earlier today, which said the owners of nearly 500,000 cars with 2.0-liter engines could receive an offer to buy back those Jettas, Beetles and other vehicles.

"Breyer ordered that the details of the agreement remain confidential until it is finalized — likely sometime this summer," NPR's John Ydstie reports for our Newscast unit. "The judge also said drivers who have leased the vehicles in question will be able to end those leases."

Calling the deal "an important step on the road to making things right," Volkswagen issued a statement saying, "As noted today in court, customers in the United States do not need to take any action at this time."

Nearly 600,000 VW-made vehicles sold in the U.S. have "defeat devices" that circumvent emission control systems during driving conditions – and activate the controls only during emissions tests, the government says. Found in both 2.0-liter and 3.0-liter versions of VW and Audi diesel cars, the problem is present in millions of cars worldwide.

Before the court session, German newspaper Die Welt had reported that Volkswagen might pay American consumers $5,000 in compensation. That possibility wasn't discussed in court today.

Money for the U.S. restitution effort would presumably come out of the $7 billion emergency fund that Volkswagen created to cope with fallout from the scandal.

One attorney who monitored today's hearing is Tom Young, who's suing Volkswagen on behalf of the environmental protection commission in Hillsborough County, Florida. In an email, he notes that the plan unveiled today "does not include damages that may be levied against VW by the many state and local governments that have sued the automaker."

Young adds, "Those governmental entities are seeking additional billions from Volkswagen."

Frustrated by the lack of progress on a recall and restitution, the Environmental Protection Agency filed a lawsuit against Volkswagen back in January.

If the agreement takes hold, it would be an important step in resolving a scandal that erupted last fall, when the EPA said VW had manipulated its diesel engines so they would pass would pass emissions test, despite producing up to 40 times the pollution allowed under U.S. standards.

This week, the district court in Northern California has been issuing summons related to dozens of lawsuits car owners have filed against Volkswagen since last fall.

As an example, one suit was filed by a couple who live in Big Bear, Calif., and who say they bought a 2010 Jetta "because they thought it was environmentally safe and provided good fuel efficiency" and because Volkswagen had advertised the car's use of "clean diesel."

"In reality, the Vehicle did not meet the applicable EPA and ARB emissions standards," the suit states.

Saying the carmaker won't be able to fix the car without compromising its performance and/or fuel efficiency, the lawsuit seeks damages in the form of either the original purchase price or the overpayment amount, along with attorney's fees and "a civil penalty of two times Plaintiffs' actual damages," citing state law.

As we reported when the scandal exploded back in September:

"The U.S. government also has reason to feel duped: Volkswagen's "clean diesel" TDI engines earned a $1,300 federal tax credit for people who purchased a Jetta sedan or wagon back in 2009, the first year affected by the recall.
"When applied to a base price of around $22,000, the hefty tax credit helped explain why the TDI vehicles were hard to keep in stock."
News of an agreement emerged more than a month after Volkswagen's top U.S. executive, Michael Horn, resigned from the company. It was Horn who endured a grilling about the emissions scandal on Capitol Hill last October, in a candid appearance that included an apology and the statement about the cheating software, "It was installed for this purpose."

Since the scandal began, it has also widened to include more Volkswagen and Audi vehicles, as well as one produced by Porsche. Here's the most current list of vehicles, via the EPA:

Affected 2.0 liter diesel models and model years

Jetta (2009-2015)
Jetta Sportwagen (2009-2014)
Beetle (2013-2015)
Beetle Convertible (2013-2015)
Audi A3 (2010-2015)
Golf (2010-2015)
Golf Sportwagen (2015)
Passat (2012-2015)
Affected 3.0 liter diesel vehicle models and model years

Volkswagen Touareg (2009-2016)
Porsche Cayenne (2013-2016)
Audi A6 Quattro (2014-2016)
Audi A7 Quattro (2014-2016)
Audi A8 (2014-2016)
Audi A8L (2014-2016)
Audi Q5 (2014-2016)
Audi Q7 (2009-2016)

NPR Twitter
© 2016 npr

The possible buy back currently agreed by all parties was for 2L engine only, not 3L engine in Audi and Porsche. There was no agreement on the 3L engine yet.

rooflessVW:

Took it into the dealer. They showed me the average mpg, I didn't know it had 2 of them. 1 for current drive, another for lifetime mpg. I also didn't have them figure out the reason why it alerts to service the car every 5k miles since they said if they can't find a problem they have to charge for labor. New sway bar, new alternator pulley, and a new instrument cluster, had to remove subframe for sway bar. $1,822 in repairs. All on a 2-1/2 year old car. I even declined the alignment since the extended warranty wouldn't pay for it. If you add up the A/C compressor, defective first battery, and defective center console, it's around $4,000 in repairs. Ridiculous IMO.

10i6ixh.jpg

2ltndjm.jpg

21ae5wk.jpg

That is a bit extreme.

I'm not sure which is which: either I'm lucky with my VWs, or you're unlucky with yours!

Them charging for labor or an alignment is bogus if you're still inside the window on your factory warranty. You DEFINITELY need a new dealer. Without having the car in front of me I get the impression they're avoiding warranty claims they will have difficulty charging VW for, and doing more work than is necessary on other jobs to "pad" the warranty time. It is possible to cheat the warranty and the customer at the same time! I would give vw customer relations a call; they're very good at resolving customer-dealer issues, and even customer-VW issues. 1-800-822-8987 8 to 10 Monday to Friday, 8 to 5 on Saturday. They have been super helpful to me and to my customers in the past.

If you're using an aftermarket warranty, may I ask who it is through?

You photos are also not showing up for me. It may be an issue with my VPN, the country I'm in blocks some weird sites.

I looked for the extended warranty paperwork today, and couldn't find it. I did find the car purchase paperwork and it says "JM&A" for the extended warranty.

It is outside of VW's 3 year/36k mile warranty so the extended warranty is paying for it for now.

They recommended an alignment since the subframe was dropped, but the extended warranty wouldn't pay for it which I think was b.s.,

I have contacted VW customer service in the past and they were no help to me. I paid almost $2,000 for a flywheel to be installed in my 2004 VW and the chatter noise returned 2 months later. They replaced that one under warranty, said it had a broken spring, and the next one chattered right away. They wouldn't fix it after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back