Trans fluid drain/fill 08 Ford Fusion 55K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently purchased an 08 Fusion w/ 55K miles. Original owner never changed the trans fluid, Valvoline oil change tech said fluid is looking rough. I was planning on bringing to dealership and having it drain/filled but I have read all the internet misinformation stating that if you don't change it at 30k just leave it alone or else will start with leaks, etc. I know the dealer/oil change place will never turn down $100+ easy service, so just wanted to get an actual answer from people who know what they are talking about before I do something stupid. TIA.

Three drain and fills spaced out 500 miles + would be my recommendation. Pick up your own atf and let the dealer or indy do it if diy is not an option.

I have changed transmissions for the first time after 100k no problem, the myth is actually due to the shop not wanting to be liable for issues since they don't make much money on this service.

I would buy the correct fluid and take it to a trusted independent mechanic unless you know a really good dealership

55K is not to late to change the OE fluid...in fact it's probably never too late. Some Fusions had Aisin AT's (and require 3309 ATF) and others have the 6F35 which requires Mercon LV so check before buying the fluid and change it.

That fluid gets very dark during normal usage, it will darken fairly soon after changing it. This is normal and nothing to be alarmed about. Smells bad too.

I change my 07 Fusion about every 30K with M1 ATF. Even though it isn't spec'd for my trans, with 179K it still upshifts and downshifts like new.

230k on the 07, still shifts smoth as silk and strong.
This is the third fusion between me and mom. The fierst one traded at 345k, second one sold at 315k. No issues there either.
Did i mention all are still slamming the five gears in tactory slushie fill. That is the oe service interval.

Harve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back