Citgo now top tier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this has already been posted; I searched and didn't find anything....

And there's nothing I can find on the Citgo website about it, but according to Top Tier's website, Citgo is now certified.

Top Tier Retailers

If so, great for me as Citgo is very price competitive and available in my area.

Last edited:
Good to know another one joins the ranks of TT. In this area Quik Trip has very competitive pricing since they came to area, And very well kept pump areas and a nice clean convenience and food area.

I guess it's ok use Citgo products now that Chavez is dead? Just kidding. Just kidding.
55.gif

Isnt this area specific? My dad used to work for Cenex and one of their delivery guys said the Citgos in my area consistently bought the cheapest junk they could. I believe it based on a guy I know driving a tow truck saying I wouldnt believe how many vehicles hes towed that were using Citgo and gas being the culprit for the breakdowm. To end my rant I think the Citgos around here arent selling top tier and I think its more of what each store buys.

+1

The Citgo gas near me is the worst gas around in my area. I made the mistake of buying $30 worth of that stuff and my car never ran worse than one that. So, I stay with Shell, Exxon, and or Mobil. Though usually I go with Shell 93. Costco is top tier too as many here now and buy at very good prices.

It is not area specific. All stations of any particular brand of Top Tier fuel must use the additive concentration.

Glad to see Citgo on board.

Odd thing about "top tier" btw, is I have had vehicles that preferred Non-Top Tier.

My Ford Ranger ran like a hummingbird and got a tad better gas mileage if I filled up at Kangaroo, Sunoco, and the Racetrac I worked at.

BP, Mobil, Citgo, Texaco, Shell, Not so much.
And I have inspected the Injectors at 100K, 150K, and 200K with little wear, and cylinder walls etc all clean.

Edit: I believe actually the nicest smoothest rides and responsiveness in any car I have driven was after the use of Exxon 89.

Last edited:
Good to know that Citgo is now Top Tier. I typically use Valero and Exxon/Mobil for best results. Will have to give Citgo a whirl.

I buy 90% Citgo because I like the guys that own the local station. I suppose this is good. Citgo has been advertising their additives for a while now.

Citgo stations in my county got some updates in terms of fixtures, signs, etc in last year or so. But they still look pretty beat up for the most part, esp. the pumps. (Hess/Speedway, Shell, Murphy are usually cleaner.) I don't think their gas was all that great in any of my cars. So I'm a little bit surprised by the TT designation...

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
Odd thing about "top tier" btw, is I have had vehicles that preferred Non-Top Tier.

My Ford Ranger ran like a hummingbird and got a tad better gas mileage if I filled up at Kangaroo, Sunoco, and the Racetrac I worked at.

BP, Mobil, Citgo, Texaco, Shell, Not so much.

My 04 Toyota Matrix was picky about gas. It ran well with all of them, but with BP from a busy station the thing used 10% less gas, every time. Suddenly the couple cents extra per gallon didn't look like such a bad deal.
Quote:

And I have inspected the Injectors at 100K, 150K, and 200K with little wear, and cylinder walls etc all clean.

How does one inspect a fuel injector on a SMPI system for wear?

Originally Posted By: anl0109
Citgo stations in my county got some updates in terms of fixtures, signs, etc in last year or so. But they still look pretty beat up for the most part, esp. the pumps. (Hess/Speedway, Shell, Murphy are usually cleaner.) I don't think their gas was all that great in any of my cars. So I'm a little bit surprised by the TT designation...

One of my friends stated the reason for getting his CHP is that he gasses up at the local Citgo.

I have seen some nice ones around though.

There's now three options here then, which is nice. But some of the Citgos here are in the inner city and one has had a bad reputation for spiking their gas with water...

We had few Citgo stations in So Cal some years ago, but they are all gone because we didn't like Chavez(is it his name ?)

I remember 8-10 years ago a brand new Citgo station opened with great fanfare, during the grand opening week they sold gas at discount of 20-30 cents a gallon, so they had a lot customers. A week later the gas went back to normal price and no more than 1 customer at any time. They changed to 7-11 after 5-6 months.

Me too. I've tackled the TT fraud on here several times.
I use Valero now as it is the only gas station in my area that fills their tanks with their trucks.Every other station uses fuel wholesalers and not the brands trucks to refuel.
Plus Valero gives me the best mpg. The price is also in the middle of the pack.

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
Here, I just hit Valero Corner Stores, competitive pricing, clean stores, plenty of pumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back