BITOG Explained

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great list, and you'll need a couple of extra ones.

- Oil hoarders

- Oil hoarders that run extended drain intervals even after they post pics of their massive oil hoards

- Cheapos that get clearance oil, show us a picture of the bills and then wanna hit every competitor in town for a price match on a markdown.

- frankenbrewers looking for acceptance.

- The 2 for 1 (OCI to oil filter)

#6. Def take an old school approach but I trust the engineers when it comes to OLMs.

Great write up! That just about sums everybody up. You can also add the occasional troller who has 10 posts.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: TomYoung
It has finally dawned on me that BITOG members are not the same. For your consideration, here are the categories they fall into:

1. Extenders - "If I use the right mix of Amsoil and Lucas, I think I can move this OCI from 25k to 30k"
2. Maintainers - "I split the factory OCI reco in half, cause I want my 93 Camry to last."
3. Pragmatists - "oil is oil, you'll do fine with the cheapest in spec dino oil, and if you want to go crazy, you can buy Supertech Syn."
4. Mobil 1ers - "Whether you drive a Corvette, a Cummins or a McLaren, this product is your best, never fail, always appropriate choice."
5. Engineers/Scientists "Blah blah blah centistokes blah blah."
6. Crazies (one of many iterations of this) "My dad said to drop the pan at every oil change and to always go with 20W50, so that's the plan with my new Prius."
7. Thinnies "Thick oil can't flow into small places, so I am running 0 W 16 in my new Hellcat. If thick is good, thin must be better."
8. Ignorami "Never change your oil, just add a quart here and there."
9. Esotericists "Those few of us who have figured it out know that Brad Penn Racing oil really has the magic.
10. Marketers - "Amsoil is not sold by big oil and has the engineering worked out."

11. The AutoRXers- "You need to add AutoRx. It doesn't matter how old or new your engine is, or even if you don't have any sludge or deposits in your engine, you need to add the stuff, even though it doesn't work a lot of the time. And BTW, MMO is garbage!"

12. The Homeopathic Group - Those who take a the holistic approach and view BITOG may not be the holy grail for advice, newcomers and others that have had great success can learn BITOG diehards a thing or two. Don't preach the hype and have a broad view. Yeah the english is spot on.

13. Factory Fill - Bought new vehicle last week should I drop the FF and change filter next week. My OEM owners manual recommendation said to contact and consult BITOG for direction and advice without question or hesitation.

Last edited:
blah... blah... blah... boundary conditions... blah blah blah... centistokes ... ... blah blah blah... saybolt universal seconds... blah blah blah... certification test method.... blah blah blah...

TRANSLATED: I guess I'm number 5.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
11) I got this oil for a nickel a quart at autozone and it's two grades off my spec but I'm gonna make it fit, or mix it with something its polar opposite because it'll mix into an 8w35.

11.5, I drove tto every AutoZone in a 200 mile radius from my home and scored 213 quarts at a nickle a quart.

I want to thank everyine for their response and excellent comments and additional categories. I note that there are several requests for a similar list of oil filter categories. Be assured that my analysis has started!

Castrol 10W-70 RS (racing oil) - good stuff
laugh.gif

The SpreadSheeters, I've studied every PDS and VOA I could find, and I have listed all the oils in ascending order of ZDDP/Moly/HTHS/Noack to find the optimum oil for my application.

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
5. Engineers/Scientists "Blah blah blah centistokes blah blah."

It's more like "here is an article", "read this article", "here is another article", "please provide an article to refute my statements".

I think a lot of the "Scientists" don't realize that:

1) Just because something is published in a scientific journal doesn't mean it's always true.

2) Even if the conclusions from the scientific article are true, they might be true only under their experimental conditions. Rubbing two pieces of metal together in a lab vs. actual conditions inside an engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Now make one about oil filters.
grin.gif

+1
grin.gif
banana2.gif

+2

Can be broken into a few groups based on brand preference as well as the "attitude" towards deconstruction of metal cans.

1: Frampires
2: Purohaters
3: Tearo-deniers
4: beWIXed
5: OEMers - Most commonly Motorcraft
6: E(hard)core users
7: Bypass spec-ers
8: Germans
9: Trolls (about 99.9% of the Purolator defenders)
10: Pleat Accountants
11: Virgin Sacrificers
12: Manufacturer Code Translators
13: Harbor Freight #3 Cutter Tool Preservation Society & Filter Cutter
14: car51 - Filter cutter of legendary status.

Thanks! I spend about 1/2 of my time in the filter section so I know the packs that people tend to run in. For the oil... I am #3. We need a "FOLLOW THE MANUAL!" group.

Last edited:
We need to add:

* Flavor of the Month Club - change their oil to whatever seems to be popular on BITOG at the time of their OCI - rarely use the same brand in back to back OCIs
*0W40ers - run 0W40 in everything whether it spec's OW40 or not
*GCers - still holding on to that green magic
* EuroSnob - if it isn't European it's trash!

Last edited:
Count me among the 0W-40ers and the EuroSnobs.

Never be ashamed of who you are!

Don't forget the should-my-oil-turn-black-so-soon crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back