Fllow the DOT's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2015 Chevy Sonic that , I believe requires DOT 4 brake fluid . Is that a synthetic ?

I also have a 1991 Chevy Caprice 5.0l that I have probably , most recently , used DOT 3 .

Is DOT 4 backwards comparable & OK to use in the Caprice ? I would rather have to have only one spec of brake fluid on hand .

Thanks ,
Wyr
God bless

You. Can use dot 3,4 and 5.1 back and forth just fine.. just make sure you don't mix the silicone based dot 5. They separate and make iy impossible to bleed out..

Yes, you can use DOT 4 where DOT 3 is called for. In fact, some brake fluids are even labeled DOT 3&4, like Valvoline.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
You. Can use dot 3,4 and 5.1 back and forth just fine.. just make sure you don't mix the silicone based dot 5. They separate and make iy impossible to bleed out..

+1

In case anyone seeing this gets the idea to use LHM it is a very specific fluid not commonly used in braking systems alone but in combination systems requiring hydraulic fluid for PS, suspension and brakes.
Citroen has been using this type of fluid for many decades but it will totally destroy every seal in systems that use conventional glycol based fluids.

OP. Dot3, 4, 5.1 can be mixed Dot 5.1 was developed for ABS and ESP and has very low and high temp performance. Dot 4 is an upgrade for Dot 3 systems and can be used in any Dot 3 system.
Dot 5.1 works very well in ABS and ESP systems.
Dot 5 is silicone and should not be used unless spec (afaik only HD specs Dot5) but it is a common conversion fluid for non ABS motorcycles because it is harmless to paint. SS braided lines are usually recommended for Dot 5 when used on bikes.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Dot 4 LV what ever that is.Then there is.
+1
DOT4LV is said to improve the reaction times of the ABS brakes. Napa and O'reilly sell Pentosin DOT4LV so that is what I use.

Is your Chevy Sonic a manual transmission car? Most hydraulic clutches use DOT4 brake fluid, and changing your fluid regularly may extend the life of your hydraulic clutch components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back