Hoppe's Elite Foam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

I really like the stuff. Just foam it on a small tooth brush and it does a great job on the slide. Nice if the brush fits through the barrel hole in the slide so you can do the underside of slide. Nice for barrel bore..just plain easy to apply...just put a bit of foam in the muzzle end of bore.

Cuts mess and cleaning time. I did all 3 of my nines in 1/2 hour. Granted they were reasonably clean and I didn't have to do the bore. I usually do the bore without disassembling the firearm.

Last edited:
I've never used hoppes cleaner. Does it leave a film of oil behind or does it act more like a degreaser, sounds like a cool idea.

Originally Posted By: Itonlysmokesalit
I've never used hoppes cleaner. Does it leave a film of oil behind or does it act more like a degreaser, sounds like a cool idea.

Good point. I honestly don't know. My guess is that there will be a film until you wipe it off. I will get back on that.

I bought a can of the Outers Foaming Bore Cleaner. This stuff was all the rage when this foaming slop came out 8 or 10 years ago. I didn't care for the stuff personally. It is sold as a... "Easy, non messy way to remove barrel fouling". I found it to be the total opposite. The stuff can easily leak into the action of the weapon you're trying to clean. Then it's a PITA to get all of it out.

The stuff only did a marginal job. Since then I discovered Bore Tech Eliminator, and I've never looked back. It works fantastically. Doesn't smell. Contains zero Ammonia. And it won't harm your barrel, regardless how long you leave it in. In fact the stuff has rust inhibitors in it. Now it's all I use to remove fouling. When I first got the Bore Tech, I ran a patch soaked with it down the barrels of the guns I used the foam on, and every patch came out green. The can of foam promptly went into the trash after that.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2093155799/bore-tech-eliminator-bore-cleaning-solvent-liquid

I'm with Bill..... Bore-Tech is the Bomb. Even MPro-7 Gun Cleaner does a little better job than it's sister Hoppes Elite.

I'm a no-foamer guy also. I hated my Breakfree CLP foam. I emptied the spray contents into a dripper bottle and that turned it into liquid form finally. Then I mixed that CLP with Birchwood Casey synthetic CLP. Then I put that dripper on a shelf in my garage and there it sits unattended for probably forever. It's too watery for my liking. As watery as Rem-oil.

That watery mix has a friend thou, right next to it. It's another dripper bottle of Hoppes Gun Oil on Steroids with a 1/4oz of MPro-7 LPX.

My two grandkid boys someday will inherit those two dripper bottles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: billt460
I bought a can of the Outers Foaming Bore Cleaner. This stuff was all the rage when this foaming slop came out 8 or 10 years ago. I didn't care for the stuff personally. It is sold as a... "Easy, non messy way to remove barrel fouling". I found it to be the total opposite. The stuff can easily leak into the action of the weapon you're trying to clean. Then it's a PITA to get all of it out.

Try it in gel form...

I use the Breakfree bore foam about once a year or every thousand rounds. It does do a great job on copper and carbon fouling and is the only chemical i've found that reliably strips baked on carbon off the inside of muzzle brakes.

It is messy, as the foam breaks down into a thick liquid. The up side is that it perfectly fine with the AR gas system.

I haven't tried the Hoppes as I seem to recall it says not to use on gas operated guns.

BSW

Originally Posted By: Al

Good point. I honestly don't know. My guess is that there will be a film until you wipe it off. I will get back on that.

The Hoppe's leaves almost no film. Again. I don't let my guns get filthy dirty. Can't speak hows it works on a filthy gun. I can assure it does a very good job on a firearm that gets cleaned every 500 rounds or so.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: billt460

The stuff only did a marginal job. Since then I discovered Bore Tech Eliminator, and I've never looked back. It works fantastically. Doesn't smell. Contains zero Ammonia. And it won't harm your barrel, regardless how long you leave it in. In fact the stuff has rust inhibitors in it. Now it's all I use to remove fouling. When I first got the Bore Tech, I ran a patch soaked with it down the barrels of the guns I used the foam on, and every patch came out green. The can of foam promptly went into the trash after that.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2093155799/bore-tech-eliminator-bore-cleaning-solvent-liquid

Agreed, I used some of that gunslick foaming stuff in the past and it drives my crazy when used in an AR. Will always build up in the gas system turn to a goo and run back in the action. Even after blowing air through the gas tube. Got turned onto bore tech a while ago good stuff.

The Hoppe's leaves almost no film. Again. I don't let my guns get filthy dirty. Can't speak hows it works on a filthy gun. I can assure it does a very good job on a firearm that gets cleaned every 500 rounds or so.

Roger I like the idea of a foaming parts cleaner more so than the bore stuff. I don't use cleaners much, usually just scrub a lot with the clp I'm using.

Roger I like the idea of a foaming parts cleaner more so than the bore stuff. I don't use cleaners much, usually just scrub a lot with the clp I'm using.

I am sure you will like it. If you don't pm me and I'll buy it back from you..of course you would have to deliver it.;)

I don't clean my bores. I run a Bore Snake down the barrel twice and call it a day. Thousands and thousands and thousands of rounds and all my guns are 2 MOA or better, which is all I really require. I'm not a precision shooter. My guns are minute of man accurate. Good enough for me. I do think its important to scrub the chamber clean with a chamber brush, but the I leave the bores alone for the most part.

If the bore snake contains bronze bristles embedded in the cord, adequate rifling-cleaning occurs. If not, then over time, your rifle will slowly develop shot patterns that reminisce smooth-barreled shotguns.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I don't clean my bores. I run a Bore Snake down the barrel twice and call it a day. Thousands and thousands and thousands of rounds and all my guns are 2 MOA or better, which is all I really require. I'm not a precision shooter. My guns are minute of man accurate. Good enough for me. I do think its important to scrub the chamber clean with a chamber brush, but the I leave the bores alone for the most part.

I have n ever used a bore snake. Do you put anything on the snake. Do you periodically clean/wash the snake? If so how?

I have n ever used a bore snake. Do you put anything on the snake. Do you periodically clean/wash the snake? If so how?

Bore Snake is the best gun cleaning product I have ever bought. Most of mine are approaching 10 years old. They are starting to get worn, and some of them need replaced.

I just attach the pinpoint spray straw to an aerosol can of Remoil, spray the heck out of the chamber/bore/locking lugs, let it sit for a few minutes, clean the chamber with a chamber brush, and then run a bore snake down the barrel twice. That's it.

You can wash them in the washing machine with your gun cleaning rags or hand wash it in the sink with soapy water.

I've always wanted to try a Boresnake. But 2 guys I know that have used them, had them break off inside the barrel. Besides ruining their day at the range, one had to take it to a gunsmith to have it removed. So for now I stick with my Dewey Cleaning Rod.

[censored] that would suck^^. Do you know where they ripped at? (Be something to keep a eye on) I have one in .22 cal and it works well. I'll run a patch of bore tech or kg12. Then like Bubba stated run the snake with slip or ws applied to it to finish. Really quick and simple

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back