Oil & camshaft timing in 2011 Saab 9-5 (GM Ecotec)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I have an interesting issue with an uncommon vehicle.

I own a 2011 Saab 9-5 with the 2.0L Turbo 4-cylinder engine and a 6-speed manual transmission. It has the GM Ecotec LHU engine that GM has more recently used in the turbo versions of the Buick Regal and Verano. It is a flex fuel vehicle and I run E85. Currently 103,000 miles on the clock.

The vehicle was developed when Saab was changing hands between GM and Spyker and because of this, the oil recommendations were chaotic. Somehow my car came with a "Dexos 5w-30" oil filler lid. As a result, when the dealership saw this lid, they thought they should use the ACDelco Dexos1 5w-30 oil.

I questioned them but they assured me this was the correct oil. Less than 100 miles later, the Check Engine light came on and threw code P0014 indicating advanced exhaust camshaft timing.

In researching this, here's what I find:

1) The owner's manual specifies a "synthetic oil meeting GM4718M."

2) The next section, on viscosity, says the factory fill was 5w-30, but that 5w-40, 0w-30, and 0w-40 may also be used. What's weird about that is the GM4718M spec never even included any 5w-40 or 0w-40 oils.

3) I asked the two biggest Saab experts in my area. One says he uses Mobil 1 15w-50 in these engines and the other says he uses 5w-40. In either case, they agreed that they don't like 5w-30 for these cars. That's because of a rumor dating to Saab's older designs that the oil pump needed at least an xw-40 to get enough pressure.

I am afraid to use 15w-50, a grade so far from the manual's recommendation. I'm also afraid to use even Mobil 1 5w-40, which doesn't have the GM4718M spec. But there must have been some reason that Saab included the 5w-40 recommendation even though GM4718M didn't cover that grade.

Does anyone have any recommendations about this? Thanks very much for reading.

Why would you be afraid to use 15w-50 M1? Probably a Saab specific board would get more info.

As I understand/recall, Dexos 1 spec superseded the GM4718M spec, so that is probably not the issue.

Here are possible causes for the P0014 code (from Autocode.com):
Possible causes
- Dirty Oil
- Low engine oil level
- Faulty Exhaust Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid
- Exhaust Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid harness is open or shorted
- Exhaust Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)

Read more: http://www.autocodes.com/p0014_saab.html#ixzz479tpbDhe

The oil is most likely not the issue if full and has been changed in a good maintenance interval. That being said, it probably has chain actuators/solenoids or timing chain/guides that may be worn/stretched causing this concern. This is more the "North American" version of this engine - (Yes, almost identical as the Regals and Verano - In a chassis that is a modified version of the LaCrosse (NEW 9-5) ) than the "Swedish" 9-3 style in construction/component use anyway.
Clean oil, changed on a good schedule alone most likely will not "cause you issues" just because it isn't the specific weight - given you could have been using either of a few 5w-30 / 0W-40 / 5W-40 weights - none of those oils would "hurt" anything to outright to cause this code because of excessive wear.

BurrWinder

hello, for more information about your gen 2 9-5 visit us over at saabcentral. there is a specific forum just for your gen.

on your 2.0l use dexos 5w30

the reccomendations for 0/40 and up are for the 2.3l motor which did not come in your car. you have just a gm 4 cylinder with a turbo.

although i havent bought one yet if i did have a 2011 saab i would probably run what i have in my other two saabs which is rotella t6 and a good filter.

Rotella T6 5W-40 as you are out of warranty and on your own. Works fine in a lot of Saabs
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back