Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I think I have finally found my new favorite LL-01 oil... Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40. From what I can tell, it is very similar to Shell Helix Ultra. Both oils have some pretty solid manufacturer certifications (e.g. Ferrari). I believe this current formulation is relatively new? Essentially the "old" Pennzoil Ultra?

I would love to hear some other peoples experience. Also, does anyone have the HTHS and NOACK figures for this oil? The Technical data sheet located at: http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/full-synthetic-motor-oils/pennzoil-platinum.html does not list those specifications.

Cheers.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
A lot of people's favorite when they found it @ autozone for $2/qt last fall.

Yep, haven't used it yet, got a bunch of Castrol 0w30 and 0w40 also. I think I'll use the 5w40 for the summer.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Well, I think I have finally found my new favorite LL-01 oil... Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40. From what I can tell, it is very similar to Shell Helix Ultra. Both oils have some pretty solid manufacturer certifications (e.g. Ferrari). I believe this current formulation is relatively new? Essentially the "old" Pennzoil Ultra?

I would love to hear some other peoples experience. Also, does anyone have the HTHS and NOACK figures for this oil? The Technical data sheet located at: http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/full-synthetic-motor-oils/pennzoil-platinum.html does not list those specifications.

Cheers.

What is Ferrari specification except long lasting marketing deal between Shell and Ferrari?

It's probably very similar, if not identical, to the new GTL Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 which was talked about here

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3955277/

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Pennzoil Ultra (now called Platinum Euro) pds when GTL was introduced, it is rebadged Shell Helix Ultra:
Pennzoil/Shell Ultra GTL

HTHS = 3.88
Noack = 6.8 %

According to the linked PDS above, which should be the new GTL version, as the older non-GTL version has a lower HTHS than this.

Originally Posted By: SR5
It's probably very similar, if not identical, to the new GTL Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 which was talked about here

Pennzoil Ultra (now called Platinum Euro) pds when GTL was introduced, it is rebadged Shell Helix Ultra:
Pennzoil/Shell Ultra GTL

HTHS = 3.88
Noack = 6.8 %

According to the linked PDS above, which should be the new GTL version, as the older non-GTL version has a lower HTHS than this.

Apparently Platinum has HTHS of 3.6 and NOACK of 6.2%.
I have not seen pds, but Quattro Pete seems to know.

HTHS = 3.88
Noack = 6.8 %

I got a reply from someone at Pennzoil today. I asked if PP Euro 5W-40 was the same as Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40. Pennzoil's response:
Quote:
The Helix and Euro formulations are similar. Some aspects of both oils are proprietary (ie. HTHS and NOACK) and formulated for different specifications.

So I don't think you can say they are identical, but I'm sure they are more similar than not. Either way, seems to be an impressive oil. I also asked if he could provide HTHS and NOACK... but I guess those are "proprietary"...

The two values seem to be HTHS = 3.88 & Noack = 6.8%
Or HTHS = 3.6 & Noack = 6.2 %

Both are great values, but since this is BITOG, we need to know.

OK, an international response is required, if we all contact our local SOPUS tech help people and ask for these values, we may be able to find out some solid numbers.

I recently contacted both Penrite and Castrol Australia and asked for the HTHS values for a certain oil of theirs and they both gave me solid values within 24 hours. I will be dissatisfied with Shell if they can't match this openess to a honest customer.

HTHS = 3.6 & Noack = 6.2 %

These values came from my contact at Pennzoil in the US. This is for the current PPE 5w40.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
HTHS = 3.6 & Noack = 6.2 %

These values came from my contact at Pennzoil in the US. This is for the current PPE 5w40.

Thanks mate, it looks like we do know. Good work.

Do you think the Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 will be the same ? Or possible a little different ?

Thanks

I'm running this oil in my 135i. Can't say I note any differences from the BMW 5w-30 I had in there before, but the low NOACK and a bit more viscosity to combat dilution is welcome...

Cheers.

What is Ferrari specification except long lasting marketing deal between Shell and Ferrari?

Ferrari approval overlap with FIATs 9.55535-Z2, which is a high performance petrol specification. Only few oils could meet those, old M1 did. Shell -Ferrari relationship is commercial, but they do work together for ages.

Originally Posted By: chrisri

Cheers.

Ferrari approval overlap with FIATs 9.55535-Z2, which is a high performance petrol specification. Only few oils could meet those, old M1 did. Shell -Ferrari relationship is commercial, but they do work together for ages.

I know it overlaps and Ferrari goes with FIAT approval since there is no such thing as Ferrari approval.
It is marketing trick and apparently people get hooked up on that.

Originally Posted By: chrisri

Cheers.

I know it overlaps and Ferrari goes with FIAT approval since there is no such thing as Ferrari approval.
It is marketing trick and apparently people get hooked up on that.

Indeed, you are right. There are few Fiat 9.55535-Z2 "meet spec" oils and they are all of comparable quality. Ferrari spec is classic marketing gimmick. Z2 is always paired with 229.5, LL-01 and A3/B4. Still, SHU is a great oil.

I am running across some of the Pennzoil European stuff more easily up here, but it's not at normal retail channels, or in normal packaging, yet, at least for the most part. Napa and a couple other places that sell primarily to businesses are having some, but it's usually in EcoBoxes. I have yet to see a nice, readily available rollback on a 5 quart jug, like one would normally see with the Castrol 0w-40 or M1 0w-40.

Helix is great oil, there is no any doubt about that. But people get hooked up on these marketing tricks.

From what I can tell, it's not just marketing gimmicks. People posted some great UOAs on the "old" Pennzoil Ultra, which is essentially the same as this Platinum Euro. GTL looks like a promising future for base oil development... and we don't have any shortage of natural gas in this day and age.

Ferrari doesn't strike me as the type of automobile company that would choose inferior oil for the sake of a marketing deal. They make street-legal racecars.

Ferrari doesn't strike me as the type of automobile company that would choose inferior oil for the sake of a marketing deal. They make street-legal racecars.

I agree. I saw a documentary a few years back about Ferrari. They are exceedingly concerned with using the best quality components to the extent that they make most of the parts for their cars in house including even forging their own crankshafts.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I am running across some of the Pennzoil European stuff more easily up here, but it's not at normal retail channels, or in normal packaging, yet, at least for the most part. Napa and a couple other places that sell primarily to businesses are having some, but it's usually in EcoBoxes. I have yet to see a nice, readily available rollback on a 5 quart jug, like one would normally see with the Castrol 0w-40 or M1 0w-40.

Just today I picked up 5 quarts of the 5w-40 Euro for $29.99 and that included any oil filter up to $8.99 (you pay the difference if you want a filter that is more than $8.99)
I'm not sure when that deal ends. Most AutoZone stores here don't carry the 5w-40 Euro though, so you need to look around for the ones that do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back