oregon gator blades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Granted my mowing season is only 6mo/year at best and I only mow about a half acre, but I go years between sharpening my blades. Many years between blade replacements.

For those who have to sharpen or replace blades multiple times yearly, how much acreage are you mowing? Just curious.

Mowed the yard with the new blades. First impression is good, smooth, no lines. I think they must mulch better because it seemed to blow less grass into the beds around my trees, flower beds. No clumps of bogging down. I think i like these.

I have oak trees and sand. The Oregon gator blades last me one season. But I mulch leaves and small sticks and the occasional small foliage that grows near the Driveway.

My 2011 craftsman lt1500 with 42 inch deck and 17.5hp briggs takes a beating and loves it. lol

Love gator blades. They seem to work best on multi-blade decks. I have them on my own rider and they spread the clippings out nice with no clumping.

Make sure to get the genuine Oregon Gator blades though, there are some companies out there selling look-a-like blades that aren't the same quality wise and cut terrible. I even had one customer who bought some off eBay and they sent him the wrong size. He needed three blades for his Craftsman, and two were the correct size one wasn't even close. The smaller blade left a strip of unmowed grass.

Update.
After using these blades for about a month, they are still sharp and cut smooth. The only thing i notice is that they cut about a 1/2 inch lower than stock toro blades. Itseems the cutting porting of the blade is 1/2 lower than the bolt portion of the blade.
I really don't like this for june/july mowing , as i prefer to cut as high as possible. I like how they shred leaves.

I think i will only use these in the fall when the leaves are falling, and when i mow a notch closer to the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back