New Mobil 1 FS 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edyvw
I think you are also spinning this around, trying to somehow justify M1.

Absolutely not, if I took a picture of what oil I now have in my garage for my BMW it is Castrol. Previously it was M1 but I figured why not purchase an oil that actually carries the spec that my car (doesn't really) require? On the other hand, it could be that Castrol is tardy in removing the spec from 0W-40 and ExxonMobil is more proactive. But as of the last time I checked Castrol still carries LL-01.

What I was mostly reacting to was the assertion that somehow ExxonMobil was trying to pull the wool over somebody's eyes by sneaking the certification off the oil. That's a silly assertion IMO. But I do still think that despite the claims of one poster here on Bitog, no one really knows the reason it dropped the cert.

Originally Posted By: deven
So M1 0w40 has 50-60% PAO and yet can't meet the BMW N20 spec. Maybe just because an oil is predominantly PAO based doesn't mean it'll be better than a predominantly Group III oil. It's the whole formulation with a stout add pack, friction modifiers, dispersants and detergents that make a well rounded motor oil.

No, we were talking about M1 0W40 that is on sale in Germany. It is still old stuff and carries LL-01.
Go figure! From all what I saw, I think new stuff cannot meet LL-01.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I think you are also spinning this around, trying to somehow justify M1.

Absolutely not, if I took a picture of what oil I now have in my garage for my BMW it is Castrol. Previously it was M1 but I figured why not purchase an oil that actually carries the spec that my car (doesn't really) require? On the other hand, it could be that Castrol is tardy in removing the spec from 0W-40 and ExxonMobil is more proactive. But as of the last time I checked Castrol still carries LL-01.

What I was mostly reacting to was the assertion that somehow ExxonMobil was trying to pull the wool over somebody's eyes by sneaking the certification off the oil. That's a silly assertion IMO. But I do still think that despite the claims of one poster here on Bitog, no one really knows the reason it dropped the cert.

IMO, M1 0W40 FS cannot meet LL-01.
In Germany they still sell old version still carrying LL-01.

So M1 0w40 has 50-60% PAO and yet can't meet the BMW N20 spec. Maybe just because an oil is predominantly PAO based doesn't mean it'll be better than a predominantly Group III oil. It's the whole formulation with a stout add pack, friction modifiers, dispersants and detergents that make a well rounded motor oil.

No. As has already been mentioned, the 50-60% PAO version DOES carry LL-01, it is the new GTL-based version in the US that does not currently have that certification.

Shell seems to have their GTL process down. BMW branded oil is manufactured by Shell and is GTL... And therefore is LL-01 certified, even for the N20.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

No. As has already been mentioned, the 50-60% PAO version DOES carry LL-01, it is the new GTL-based version in the US that does not currently have that certification.

How much PAO does the GTL based oil have?

Zero.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Shell seems to have their GTL process down. BMW branded oil is manufactured by Shell and is GTL... And therefore is LL-01 certified, even for the N20.

Yes, I doubt it has anything to do with the base oil selection IMHO.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

Yes, I doubt it has anything to do with the base oil selection IMHO.

And illustrating deven's point that base stock is pretty much irrelevant.

M1 also dropped that Nissan GT-R thing. But who cares? What was GT-R? Was it actually specification or just marketing deal with Nissan?

That was probably just a marketing deal. For the few GT-Rs likely here, they'll be getting a Mobil product at the dealer anyhow. Maybe Nissan wants to push Total where it's more feasible.

Zero.

No wonder why it cant meet N20 spec.

LOL!
wink.gif

I'm guessing Mobil will eventually get this product certified. It was mentioned that the test was recently upgraded, so I assume that has something to do with it being released without that spec.

From what I've seen for severely hydrocracked oils (especially VISOM), I don't see how that conclusion could be made. It's a popular BITOG sentiment to be sure, but unsupported.

LOL!
wink.gif

I'm guessing Mobil will eventually get this product certified. It was mentioned that the test was recently upgraded, so I assume that has something to do with it being released without that spec.

Why would they release it without the spec?

People on BMW forums are already raging.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Why would they release it without the spec?

Why not? It's not as if it's the only spec on the bottle. What, you want them to discontinue sales sales completely until such time it carries the spec again, assuming it ever does? They sold M1 post-Katrina without the starburst and that affected a lot more drivers than the loss of LL-01.

Raging people on BMW forums is silly. Go buy the Castrol 0W-40 like everyone else and grow up.

Go buy the Castrol 0W-40 like everyone else and grow up.

Eh. I'd be upset if I'd run my car for 100K on M1 0W-40 and all of a sudden it was not available to me. I'm not sure I'd be raging, but I'd be disappointed.

robert

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111

The Castrol 0w-40 is on special at Canadian Tire right now, and it's one of the few Wakefield products that aren't in the idiotic 4.4 L jugs. I wish Imperial Oil would follow suit on that.

Originally Posted By: robertcope
Go buy the Castrol 0W-40 like everyone else and grow up.

Eh. I'd be upset if I'd run my car for 100K on M1 0W-40 and all of a sudden it was not available to me. I'm not sure I'd be raging, but I'd be disappointed.

That is exactly what I did, almost to the mile. I couldn't care less TBH.

The Castrol product is a few pennies cheaper at Walmart anyway.

Why not? It's not as if it's the only spec on the bottle. What, you want them to discontinue sales sales completely until such time it carries the spec again, assuming it ever does?

Keep producing the old one until all the certifications are ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back