Denso Irdium plug at 68k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
My plugs at 68k miles form my Gen Coupe 2L turbo. Had them out a year ago and gapped from factory .028" to .032". These were around .033" this time.

Denso FK20HQR8

gen-coupe-plug-68k-miles.jpg

gen-coupe-plugs-68k2.jpg

I've always replaced NGK and Denso iridium plugs at about the mileage you're indicating. I start noticing a difference around the 60K mile mark and would never take them to 100K miles. You certainly might be able to do that in some cars but not in the three cars I've owned over the last 13 years that are spec'd for them. At least in my experience, the degradation in performance becomes less than subtle.

Depends on the design / part number. Every time I remove mine from the LandCrusier, they look like new after 120k miles. And they perform like new. The ones pictured are the so called 'thin' electrode ones - there is a never ending argument as to whether you need to adjust the gap at all

If the gap is good there's nothing wrong with those plugs. A plug is bad when the electrodes look rounded/melted and the gap is going off or the insulator is black and shorting which should throw a misfire code.

The electricity does not care how many times or miles the plug has fired. as Long as it still in spec and fires its good. Any feeling you get that its too old is just that.

I cleaned them up and put them back in. From the factory they come at around .028", the factory spec is .043", it runs good at .032".
JI63z79.jpg

Need to pull the valve cover off and inspect the timing chain.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Manufacturers advise to not clean and/or regap iridium plugs.
Ha........Plug or car manufacturer?

Originally Posted By: TTK
Those plugs still look good to me.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^visually they look good!

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Manufacturers advise to not clean and/or regap iridium plugs.
Ha........Plug or car manufacturer?

It makes perfect sense. The iridium or platinum coating on there is probably very thin. You don't want to scrape it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back