Chrome bumpers from RockAuto. Good quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last month, I was hit in the rear end in my 2004 Silverado (second time in six years). Thankfully, this was just a bump compared to the last time.

All my truck needs is a new bumper assembly installed, and since there's no paint work involved, I'm doing this myself.

Anyone have any experience with the quality of the aftermarket chrome bumpers from RockAuto?

What concerns me is that they are intentionally vague on who the manufacturer is, insisting on referring to them only as "Regular Inventory". Attempts to verify anything with them is met with worthless responses. It appears that it will have a 12 month warranty, which is the same as GM OEM bumpers.

I'm also aware that whatever this "Regular Inventory" might be, could be an overseas bumper, as many now come from Taiwan.

Of course, I could also go with a GM bumper assembly, at twice the price.

See what the return policy is, if you don't like it then have them pay to ship it back.

I have bought a fender for a toyota from them, it was of good quality. Also bought a bumper cover for another car and that was fine.

Both fit fine and were packed well.

I think the shipping charges are typically pretty high. A local body shop could probably get it from a local supplier for less or just get one from a junkyard.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Anyone have any experience with the quality of the aftermarket chrome bumpers from RockAuto?

Without knowing the manufacturer it's impossible to know, and anything is pure speculation. But since it's just a 12 year old pickup it really doesn't make much difference.

It's probable that it's some mainline manufacturer but they can't undercut their own dealer network so they smudge the name.

If you could somehow figure out what state the warehouse is in you might be able to narrow it down.

Check your local Craigslist. I have gotten flawless OE truck bumpers for less than $100 several times.

FWIW the OE GM bumpers from this era on this truck seem to fall apart from rust, so are pretty lousy as well.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
FWIW the OE GM bumpers from this era on this truck seem to fall apart from rust, so are pretty lousy as well.

The fact that these bumpers do tend to rust out and fall apart has given me many choices for replacement.... but have limited my used replacement choices, as this body style was disco'd in 2007.

There is a 6 year old GM bumper on there now, it was installed after I got hit in 2009.

The one that I have now isn't lousy because of rusting, it is the chrome plating on it is pathetic. The plating has huge areas of orange peel in it.

I figure I might as well get a no-name bumper and pay half the price of another GM one, since the chrome on this one was pretty bad.

I just had a 2011 Seirra in for a bumper replacement. Rockauto had a chrome front bumper for like $138 - great price but it was $181 to ship making it about the same as a geniune OEM junkyard part anyhow. We went junkyard.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
If you are paying $181 for a junkyard bumper, you don't know how to shop.

It was a perfect condition bumper fully dressed with the topper pad, air deflector and fog lamps ....so yes I do know how to shop!

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I just had a 2011 Seirra in for a bumper replacement. Rockauto had a chrome front bumper for like $138 - great price but it was $181 to ship making it about the same as a geniune OEM junkyard part anyhow. We went junkyard.

Wow. I'm being quoted $35 for shipping on a entire rear bumper kit (bumper, reinforcement bar, brackets, pads).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back