Krown Rust Proofing illegal in U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister told me a few days ago that she was taking there vehicles to Canada to have them rust proofed with Tar because what they do is illegal in the U.S. True or False?

I'm guessing she misconstrued something. Sometimes people make statements about things they are not so sure about. Or perhaps she is sure, and it's her mechanic who made a false statement, which she is repeating.

Hey, she's getting the car sprayed with Krown. She can't be that un-smart. Misinformed, perhaps.

Warstud,

There's 2 relatively new Krown dealers in S.E. Michigan (first in MI). I abandoned the Windsor one last year (sorry, Papa Bear) and was very satisfied with the application done at the Monroe facility.

They seem to be slowly coming to the States. We've got one Krown shop in the Buffalo NY area that's relatively new.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Warstud,

There's 2 relatively new Krown dealers in S.E. Michigan (first in MI). I abandoned the Windsor one last year (sorry, Papa Bear) and was very satisfied with the application done at the Monroe facility.

Not all the same?

She's near Port Huron. And the closest ones are.

1) Sarnia, Ontario (5.22 mi)
2) Lexington, Michigan (17.79 mi)
3) Wallaceburg, Ontario (24.83 mi)

Originally Posted By: JTK
They seem to be slowly coming to the States. We've got one Krown shop in the Buffalo NY area that's relatively new.

A guy I know worked for Schmidt's in Depew, they have been spraying rustproofing oil based product for years.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Originally Posted By: JTK

A guy I know worked for Schmidt's in Depew, they have been spraying rustproofing oil based product for years.

Yep, pretty sure Schmidt's has been there since the 1950s. It's not Krown though.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
My sister told me a few days ago that she was taking there vehicles to Canada to have them rust proofed with Tar because what they do is illegal in the U.S. True or False?

Seriously?

Quote:
Not all the same?

The Windsor one was fine, except for the additional costs of bridge fares and 13% Ontario sales tax. The last couple of years the $ exchange rate was not enough to offset these costs.

The application quality depends on the person doing the work, like many services.

I'm headed to a newer Krown dealer in the Syracuse, New York area when I get the time to drive there. I know of several others in Upstate New York, plus the two Carwell locations.

Krown is a light oil that's designed to seep into welds and the like. I haven't seen anything as thick as tar applied before. The Toyota dealer I just visited offered a treatment for $499. Perhaps that was something similar.

Originally Posted By: Inspecktor
I read some Ziebart literature a few years ago, it showed oil treatment was available in Canada, but not U.S. locations.

Yes, I'm thinking she is confusing Krown with Ziebart, who DO use a heavy tar-like product that lacks the benefits of the creeping function a light oil like Krown or Rust Check has.

I had 2 different cars Krowned in December due to scheduling they were at different locations. I had one done in Sarnia, ON and the other in Lexington, MI. THey did the exact same service with the same oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back