Gradual Sludge Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at a late 90s Chrysler Sebring convertible to replace my motorcycle for some summer fun. The car has the 2.7 sludge monster of an engine in it. The price is right so I'm willing to take the chance on a sludgy engine. I am not a fan of chemical engine flushes (afraid some crud may block an oil passage). Will a decent Dino oil changed frequently (2000 miles) be effective for a gradual, long term engine cleaning?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Auto-RX

+1 on Auto-Rx. Forget the MMO. Or a cheap synthetic.

Pull a valve cover so you know what your dealing with first.

Forget the cheap synthetic, or use a cheap synthetic?

Run synthetic oil in "sludge monster engines". Some engines run really hot in certain hot spots and that can oxidize and sludge the oil. Other engines have coolant intrusion problems.

+1 on the Marvel Mystery Oil

Run multiple 2,000-3,000 mile oil changes on Pennzoil or Valvoline conventional with the appropriate amount of MMO.

I give this advice despite being one of the bigger Chrysler advocates on here: The 2.7 is a piece of junk. Even if its not sludged, its a pretty terrible engine. I wouldn't touch it unless the car was practically free, and even then I'd start looking for a 3.2 or 3.5 to swap in... which is only an option with the Intrepid/Concorde, not the Sebring/Avenger since the 3.2 and 3.5 weren't offered except for the 2007-up iteration, and then it was a pretty rare option.

That said, when I used to frequent the Usenet car forums there was a guy pushing beyond 200,000 miles on an Intrepid 2.7. He had done frequent changes and used MMO religiously for years. So there are a few of them that have survived, but wow. Just not worth the risk IMO.

I see we're all in agreement.
lol.gif

I had a 99 Sebring ragtop that ran fine, quiet and smooth on SuperTech dino 5W-20. Keep it topped off and your OCI normal and that's all you need.

Originally Posted By: CT8
How sludged up is the engine?

This. Even though I agree with most of the comments above, IF the oil is changed frequently enough the 2.7 is a durable engine.

Since you are getting a deal, perhaps removing a valve cover would be a good idea.. Then a pan drop/cleaning of that plus the valve covers if it is bad and also make sure the pickup is clear.

Then yes, very short intervals with a good cleaning dino, gradually increasing to a normal oci. Funny how other sludge monster engines get saved but everyone here has already given up on this 2.7.

Edit: once cleaned, synthetic oil. Definitely synthetic; IIRC the 2.7 has some hot spots.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Definitely synthetic; IIRC the 2.7 has some hot spots.

This. Definitely run synthetic. I'm pretty sure a 2.7 that was maintained from new with reasonable synthetic changes would never have sludged.

A co-worker's wife had a Sebring ragtop, bought used, it was fine for a while then some oil passages plugged and it lost the bottom end. It might be ok for a long while, it might lunch tomorrow, you don't know it's history. He researched all the complaints against the 2.7 and it was generally thought that the 2.7 was designed too tight internally and would positively sludge unless syn was used religiously as spec'd . If you gave me one I'd sell it. What are the odds syn was used on short OCIs for it's previous life?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
A co-worker's wife had a Sebring ragtop, bought used, it was fine for a while then some oil passages plugged and it lost the bottom end. It might be ok for a long while, it might lunch tomorrow, you don't know it's history. He researched all the complaints against the 2.7 and it was generally thought that the 2.7 was designed too tight internally and would positively sludge unless syn was used religiously as spec'd . If you gave me one I'd sell it. What are the odds syn was used on short OCIs for it's previous life?

Guess he's out driving it....
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back