beware cheap ladders

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not certain what brand it was now since it has been trashed, but my father in his 80s had a light aluminum ladder just fold under him and he is not heavy. He was indoors and not seriously hurt, but he now has a fiberglass ladder. Strangely, I have a couple of old wooden step ladders that are very sturdy and just last and last. They are a bit heavy to move around, but once in place you are very secure and they are stable.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Sorry to hear this. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Situations like this make me appreciate my heavy duty fiberglass step ladders and what a bargain they really are in the long run.

Bingo.

Be around the fire service for awhile, and you realize the importance of a good, quality ladder that'll stand up to severe punishment (overloading, unequal weight distribution, etc).

1AA units aren't carried on the shelf in your local big box retailer, but if you order online (take Home Depot for example), they'll ship it to your local store for free.

When you look at the cost/damage/recovery time involved here with this accident, the $137 he would have paid (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-6-ft-F...IAA06/100658392) becomes an incredible bargin.

Best wishes on a fast recovery! I hope your body doesn't have any rejection issues, as those can really delay a recovery.

Makes me glad to have a type 1A adjustable ladder around home as the only ladder. It's a wide, stable beast, and that's probably come in handy more than I realize.

It's always surprising how many people will purchase the cheapest piece of equipment when it's something that has the potential to cause significant injury, especially with a catastrophic failure like that.

I hope you recover quickly.

What was the load rating of that ladder? I see many ladders around that people are either too heavy or carrying things up it that exceed the ratings.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
What was the load rating of that ladder? I see many ladders around that people are either too heavy or carrying things up it that exceed the ratings.

250lb per link in first post

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
It's always surprising how many people will purchase the cheapest piece of equipment when it's something that has the potential to cause significant injury, especially with a catastrophic failure like that.

I hope you recover quickly.

Lightness can be good who wants to lug a 50lb ladder for 2ft of reach. Werner is a decent brand I wouldn't think it could fail like that not even near the rated load.

I have a heavy type 1A ladder for higher.

Please take your overly-righteous thread pooping elsewhere.

Was it on a flat level hard surface? That is the only place step ladders are ment to be used.

I have never had a step ladder fail and I have done all kinds of wrong things on them.

That totally sucks. I too have high quality ladders, but the cheapo HF ladders which you have said are light make great small job go-to ladders. Or at least I thought so. That made me think. Hope you have a speedy recovery and a trouble free surgery. Watch out for infections. Post op; At the first sign of redness or localized warmth in the area of surgery, go back to the doctor immediately. Of course it will be in a cast so it might be hard to tell at first.

It happened to me on the 4th of April, 2016!

I was on the third step from the top when the Werner 356 I was on collapsed -- on hard, dry, level grade with spreaders extended, locked, and, even "challenged" as I'm a retired nuclear power guy and safety is always paramount. Didn't know the dubious history of this product until after my fall.

Wound up with a broken arm that appears to be about an inch closer to the wrist than your break, with the characteristic "S" curve, along with, bruised ribs and ego.

Almost 40 years working safely with ladders and not one problem until last month. Fortunately, my fracture reduced and the hard cast came off yesterday -- no need for surgery but I won't be playing the guitar for some time.

I'd be interested about what an independent testing lab would have to say about this:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=BD16F9E0A9B8940C!1280&authkey=!AHjvEc24E8vKgL4&ithint=folder%2cJPG

I wish you a speedy and complete recovery!

that one is rated lower than mine. 225lb
I'm still in a splint for 17days after surgery

Then a hard brace.

Mine required an open reduction with plates and screws

Wrist was in 4-5 pcs + the arm break.

Fingers still numb hoping its this splint. I can wiggle them.

Did the doctors tell you the brand of the plates and screws?
smile.gif

Were you an level ground? I've never really liked those flimsy looking aluminium ladders but it's shouldn't have collapsed. Your weight is a good deal under the rating.

I've numbness in the pinky and ring finger. When the cast came off the arm looked like E.T.'s -- even the color matched. They said it's not unusual.

The hard cast was on so tight that the skin on my little finger started to grow around a crease in the cast about one half inch from the edge. That hurt like [censored]. I had to grind it off, the cast not the pinky, and pull the remaining piece out with a pair of pliers.

My orthopedic guy was impressed with the job.

The most hurtful part right now is having all this down time and not being able to play the guitar.

For mental and physical therapy I ordered a copy of Guitar Aerobics and one of those adjustable finger exercisers to help regain coordination and muscle tone.

Whatever it takes to get you through the day...,

Stay well!

Wood and Fiberglass are your friends when you need a ladder. 32 years as a professional firefighter and never seen one fail in use, and we used them a lot, and we abused them a lot, and we hung our lives on them a lot and I never once questioned whether it would fail or not and they never let me down. Plenty failed during annual testing though...500 lbs dead center with the ladder fully extended and supported at the ends. When they passed (which was most of the time) we had confidence in them. These are the finest laddeers you can buy to begin with though, not the homeowner variety...still, wood or fiberglass is best.

Last edited:
So the scar is getting pretty crusty its still covered with steri-strips.

Any thoughts on scar care its about 5.75" long no stitches to be removed.

Did some googling and got everything from silicone scar gel, silicon pads, embrace scar defense($$$$), silicone tape.

Thoughts?

My dr is kinda minimalist on this stuff and at 200$ a visit and 10$ a page they are getting expensive

Work and union so for 12 pages to fill out..Ouch. all on disability pay. at aprox 30% pay

I expect in a week or 2 that these steri-strips will be gone.

Then I will need a barrier to prevent rubbing on clothing etc

If it helps by preventing scar tension etc ..that would be ok.

Picture is about a week old now
2016-05-09%2008.14.56.jpg

Originally Posted By: Rand
Thoughts?

That would be a good question for your doctor. Just keep in mind that, like your ladder, the cheaper the advice the lower the quality. And that low quality can often cost much more in the long term.

We pay about $400. to about a $1000. CDN. a year dependant on income in Ontario for medical care per year. It's calculated at tax time. Then we visit a Doctor anytime we need and flash the health card.
Easy as that is I sometimes use WebMD.com for medical concerns and I like the site so far. You may want to check it out.

Get Well Soon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back