01 Tundra Maintenance Recommendation-General

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a used 2001Tundra for the kids.

193K Dealer had no history. Just a beater for 20 easy miles a day. Clean inside. Good enough for kids.

Trying to think of some basic things (that I can do)...

Probably start with oil change.

Tranny drain? Feels fine, strong. Is there a plug or is it a pan? Should I touch it or leave it?

PS Fluid

Brake Fluid

Air Filter

There is a funny cluck type noise when I apply pressure to brakes.

Pads and rotors look ok, what should I look for? Bushings?

Advice/Recommendations welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
timing belt for the v8.

edit:sorry you probably can't do it, but if you don't know when it was done, have someone do it. ~$800.

Last edited:
Easy, new Filters and Fluids. Don't forget pcv valve and gear oil in the differentials.

Trav on here runs a shop in MA. Maybe pm him to see if he's close by.

Review maintence supplement and just go over the checklist

Make the kids do it or at least help.

The AT has a plug for a drain; the capacity is over 12 qts but a drain and fill is 4 qts.

It calls for DexIII; I use Maxlife in my friends. There is a previous long thread about this very topic, most of which is overthink. Just drain out 4 qts and refill with 4.

If you are draining the coolant might be a good time to clean the TB.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Easy, new Filters and Fluids. Don't forget pcv valve and gear oil in the differentials.

Trav on here runs a shop in MA. Maybe pm him to see if he's close by.

+1 Fluids and filters are a great place to start. Also consider cleaning the TB and MAF sensor. My thought on the clunk would be u-joints as well. Worth looking at.

Side note - My wife and I love Scituate. Really nice town. I grew up in Marshfield.

Sorry, just back to my brake issue for some thoughts...

Not U Joint, not the pads/calipers sliding. The thud happens even if I am in park. I tried multiple times in Park... press brake, small thump then I press brake again and again, nothing.

fluid changes - oil, trans, PS, brakes. swap coolant during TB service.

rear brakes may need servicing.that could be the clunk. or depending on which caliper it has the slider pins may be dry/scored.

inspect the carrier bearing mid-way on driveshaft; if its original the rubber is likely shot. watch for oil leaks around the valve covers. definite timing belt, water pump, tensioner and idler to check for. inspect frame for rust and treat it if needed. check for airbag recall. check condition of spare tire, check the cable hanger for it and make sure it works.

Inspect hoses. the trans cooler circuit, depending on how equipped could have 4.

if it has an LSD I would swap diff fluid and add LSD modifier.

our 06 has been a solid truck.

-m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back