Back in a Cummins. Anything new?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fellow oil heads. It's been about 3 years since my last diesel(Cummins). I used to use Mobil Delvac 15w-40 and Donaldson Synteq filters. How much if anything has changed on the oil front? I'm guessing it's still the big 3--Delvac, Delo and Rotella that regardless of who you choose, you can't necessarily go wrong.

I found one of my old post from 2011 that someone had mentioned, on paper, Delvac had a slight edge with friction modifiers and maybe moly?.?.

I'm looking for what has changed if anything. I noticed that the PDS on Delvac and Delo have a recent revised date.

I am running Rotella T6 in my 1999 Dodge Ram w/Cummins. I have gone 18K miles with a UOA and all was good. With the newer models and possible fuel dilution, maybe just Rotella T.

i would use what cummin recommend ( if i recall cummins recommend valvoline)and fleetguard oil filter! but cummins say your 6.7 would be a 2010

Just get anything that is CJ-4, and you'll be good.

I've been using RT6 for years on 24k mile oil changes with Fleetguard synthetic filters, and it works for me. Currently have a fill of Wolf's Head 15w40 in it, but not on purpose. The shop changed the oil without consulting me. They overfilled it by a quart, too.

I'll be back on RT6 in a few months.

Last edited:
Any cj-4 oil will work, just watch the OCI, my 2008 duramax has fuel dilution big time from dpf clean cycle, I barely make it to 5k,
I use 5w40 in winter and 15w40 in warmer temps.

I'd go with synthetic and run extended drains. Your truck will thank you on cold mornings! I recently made the switch to T6 and cold starts have never been easier. It quieted the engine clatter down a whole bunch as well which is nice knowing it's not working so hard to pump 15w-40. Can't go wrong with either, but 5w-40 has the edge for me, I won't go back to 15w-40 unless I'm in a pinch.

T6, Delvac 1, or TDT are all great choices for synthetic diesel oils. I chose T6 because of the 3 it's the cheapest and easiest to come by around here. I think D1 has the edge over all of them though because it's designed primarily for the punishment of commercial trucks and heavy equipment.

It's funny you mention a 5W-40. I like the idea of a 5W in the winter, especially sine my wife will be driving it too. She doesn't exactly think like I do when it's cold and you have 3 gallons of 15w-40 in the sump. When she drives it to work, it's only a 3 mile drive. I'm just having a hard time with knowing a "5w" is in the big Cummins instead of the mighty 15w-40.

Maybe some of you can relate to my ramblings.

Originally Posted By: atoalson
It's funny you mention a 5W-40. I like the idea of a 5W in the winter, especially sine my wife will be driving it too. She doesn't exactly think like I do when it's cold and you have 3 gallons of 15w-40 in the sump. When she drives it to work, it's only a 3 mile drive. I'm just having a hard time with knowing a "5w" is in the big Cummins instead of the mighty 15w-40.

Maybe some of you can relate to my ramblings.

Right from the Chrysler catalog:
SpDANzM.png

Hello fellow oil heads. It's been about 3 years since my last diesel(Cummins). I used to use Mobil Delvac 15w-40 and Donaldson Synteq filters. How much if anything has changed on the oil front? I'm guessing it's still the big 3--Delvac, Delo and Rotella that regardless of who you choose, you can't necessarily go wrong.

I found one of my old post from 2011 that someone had mentioned, on paper, Delvac had a slight edge with friction modifiers and maybe moly?.?.

I'm looking for what has changed if anything. I noticed that the PDS on Delvac and Delo have a recent revised date.

Has anything changed in the last few years?
Nope - still at the CJ-4 level and still a whole slew of over-indulgent oil/filter changers out there.
Nothing has changed since you were away.
grin2.gif

Not a lot of change in oil formulations, the big changes are coming with the new PC-11.

What has changed with Delvac is that more retailers are now carrying Delvac 1 5W-40 ESP on the store shelves. Meijer starting having it on the shelves a little over a year ago, and just recently Rural King has it, as well as Advance Auto.

Mobil is also now offering mail-in rebates for the Delvac 1 oils, 5W-40 and the 5W-30 LE. They having been offering the rebates for the 1300 15W-40, but they just started for the synthetics as well.

Meijer and Rural King are selling the 5W-40 one-gallon jugs for $24 and $22. With Mobil offering a $12 rebate per gallon, it makes it hard to pass up.

No worry there. It's still a 40-weight at high temperature. I have over 100k miles running RT6 in my Cummins, and it's fine.

Originally Posted By: JR
Can u used the rebate on a amazon purchase?
And limit on gallons per house/rebate?

Thankyou,
Harvey

Amazon is not listed on Delvac's website as a participating retailer. Here is the list.

https://mobildelvac.com/en/promotion/mob...0OffMobilDelvac

There is a $60 mail-in rebate for one five-gallon pail of Delvac 1 5W-40 ESP or Delvac 1 5W-30 LE, Limit two $60 pail rebates per household

Then, there is the $12 mail-in rebate for the one gallon jug of Delvac 1 5W-40 or Delvac 1 5W-30 LE. Limit five $12 jug rebates per household.

So, you can buy up to five one-gallon jugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back