Motorcraft FL-820S Date code: 909031527 cut & post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Manofsteel
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Manofsteel
That motorcraft filter looks just fine. It looks superb next to that paper end capped thingy dobber beside it.

Lol.

Sure thing Mr. Steel.

Glas you see it my way kiddo.
Mr. Steel is will be a great way for you to address me. Good work

He was being sarcastic, "Mrsandman".

I seem remember another poster on here from a while back that also called me "kiddo", and had an ego as fat as yours. Hmmm, I wonder who that was?

Ehh, I'm probably mistaken. I mean, who would go to the trouble of making another screen name just to give the appearance of being a different person?

Give you one guess. See above.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I seem remember another poster on here from a while back that also called me "kiddo", and had an ego as fat as yours. Hmmm, I wonder who that was?

Ehh, I'm probably mistaken. I mean, who would go to the trouble of making another screen name just to give the appearance of being a different person?

Indeed--the troll is strong with that one.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Indeed--the troll is strong with that one.

I don't let the trolls bother me too much because over time I will have forgotten more about oil filtration than they will ever know.

There are people on this forum who have forgotten more about oil filters than I will ever know.

Over time, I will discover who they are.
grin.gif

I am bumping the thread with a few new photos. I dissected the base plate to show the gasket plate is attached to the tapping plate with epoxy/glue/sealant. It is possibly a site that may allow oil to drain back independently of the ADBV.

rwj96o.jpg

DSCN0042-FL-820S-909031527 #17 gasket plate interior
This is a view of the gasket plate from the inside surface.
Note the glue/epoxy/sealant

epp28n.jpg

DSCN0043-FL-820S-909031527 #18 tapping plate #1
This is a view of the mating surface on the tapping plate.

2d8rrrc.jpg

DSCN0045-FL-820S-909031527 #19 tapping plate #2
This is the inside surface of the tapping plate.
The ADBV seals against this surface.

I don't see much sealant between the two plates. Is it that brown looking stuff in the 1st photo?

The brown stuff is the sealant. It appears on both pieces. It is a very small amount.

I thought I could see the beginnings of a channel but it could have been how the sealant divided when prying it apart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge

We did a oil change with one about 2 weeks ago,and we aren't changing out the filter.There are many applications using this oil filter,if there were any sort of wide spread engine failures etc.,the design woulda been changed years ago.

If you think all oil filters constructed today should have zero faults,your sadly mistaken with that thought process. When things are mass produced,quality control will never be 100%,sorry guys,thats not reality.
+1 on the non-existent engine failures.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
The brown stuff is the sealant. It appears on both pieces. It is a very small amount.

I thought I could see the beginnings of a channel but it could have been how the sealant divided when prying it apart.
I suggest you hire a clairvoyant.

I still am concerned that there seems to be more failures than seems reasonable for the number that are cut here. I stopped using them still because the one I had was in such poor shape.
I don't think this sealant thing is anything to be concerned about however.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig

I suggest you hire a clairvoyant.

I see a lot of possible, speculative and could be comments from this poster.

I investigated this because of a report of oil drain back on an F150 using the MC FL400S. Before you discount the idea oil drain back could occur even if the ADBV is good you may want to check the link below.

Here is the link:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4069350/MC_FL-400S,_Problem?#Post4069350

I had a problem believing a silicone ADBV could leak so, I dissected this filter a bit further to see how the filter was made.

The filter is not welded. Purolator uses a sealant in this area.

Loss of ADBV function will not grenade an engine. It may increase wear a bit.

I investigated this because of a report of oil drain back on an F150 using the MC FL400S. Before you discount the idea oil drain back could occur even if the ADBV is good you may want to check the link below.

Here is the link:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4069350/MC_FL-400S,_Problem?#Post4069350

I had a problem believing a silicone ADBV could leak so, I dissected this filter a bit further to see how the filter was made.

The filter is not welded. Purolator uses a sealant in this area.

Loss of ADBV function will not grenade an engine. It may increase wear a bit.

Sorry, but you do speculate a lot. Just sayin.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1

cheers3.gif

And Good on 'em. If you don't speculate and put it out for consideration, collective knowledge doesn't go forward.

I am glad of it because I'm also stuck figuring out why this MC FL-400S with no apparent defect was leaking down from Day 1:

Leaking FL-400S

There is apparently a problem here and it needs to be addressed.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Originally Posted By: tig1

cheers3.gif

And Good on 'em. If you don't speculate and put it out for consideration, collective knowledge doesn't go forward.

I am glad of it because I'm also stuck figuring out why this MC FL-400S with no apparent defect was leaking down from Day 1:

Leaking FL-400S

There is apparently a problem here and it needs to be addressed.

+1 Oro_O this is how we/I learn about things.

There is no speculation about the following regarding MC FL820S:
- they are made by Purolator per Ford specifications.
- they sometimes tear and allow dirt to circulate through the engine.
- they have wide pleat spaces near the media splice.
- the tears seem to occur at the wide pleat spaces.
- some BITOG members have reported tears.
- rust on the dome end cap has been observed on the outlet side.
- the gasket plate is joined to the tapping plate with a sealant.
- Ford/Motorcraft/Purolator are not interested in customer support.

I am naturally inquisitive and will likely continue to speculate.

It appears an ADB function problem is brewing with MC FL400S. Time will tell.

Originally Posted By: FastLane
I gave up on the 820S and switch to wix.

+1 on the last oil change I removed AC Delco PF1250. The filter looked very good and no issues for 5000 miles. I will use up my stash of new style eCores with confidence.

A WIX 51372 is on the vehicle now. From all that is reported, I expect a great outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back