A/C compressor clutch bearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1998 S10 Blazer 4.3 V6

The compressor squeaks when the A/C is turned off. Once it's turned on, the squeak goes away. This leads me to believe it is the clutch's bearing.

Kits run around $90 which include the clutch, pulley and coil. Bearings run around $20 and I have access to a shop press.

Will I have any issues just replacing the bearing?

Depends on the age of the sompressor.

You may want to take off the belt and see if it can at least rotate freely.

The one on my Toyota was squeeling for about 6 months before seizing. When I replaced it, the pulley did not rotate at all. There is no oil left in there.
Glad I replaced the whole compressor.

In most cases, the whole compressor may be relatively cheaper than just the clutch and bearing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JMJNet
Depends on the age of the sompressor.

You may want to take off the belt and see if it can at least rotate freely.

The one on my Toyota was squeeling for about 6 months before seizing. When I replaced it, the pulley did not rotate at all. There is no oil left in there.
Glad I replaced the whole compressor.

In most cases, the whole compressor may be relatively cheaper than just the clutch and bearing.

The truck has 81k. Ill have to see if the compressor is original.

I've never tore into a cars A/C before, but I believe if the system gets opened up and compressor gets replaced the drier and orifice tube needs replaced too? Cost wise, I imagine that is pushing $300 excluding the refrigerant and oil.

You only need a pulley, but it is always better to replace the clutch as well since they wear together. The coil, unless otherwise damaged, should be OK. No need to discharge the system unless the compressor has to removed for access.

Reset clutch clearance near the minimum spec. The pulley is usually retained by a snap ring. Generally if the clutch has a retaining bolt, shims are used to set the clearance. No bolt usually means it is pressed on the compressor shaft which means a puller, and an installation tool, is required.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back